Sr Manager, Data & Software Engineering
The Walt Disney Studios
The Sr. Manager, Data & Software Engineering has a proven track record of leading teams to deliver high availability, mission critical services that power consumer facing applications for millions of daily active users. The ideal candidate has a history of building best in class engineering teams by coaching leaders, building strong relationships and trust across the organization, and developing early career talent. As an engineering leader, we expect you to be proficient in the principals of software design and architecture through years of hands on experience building enterprise level distributed applications. Successful candidates will feed their curiosity through regular research on the latest emerging technologies and identify intelligent ways to incorporate these technologies into the team’s roadmap such that they increase productivity, reliability, performance, and create avenues for the team’s growth and talent retention.
This position will oversee the KeyChest and Data Engineering teams and will manage all engineering efforts for the systems and services that power the Movies Anywhere product. This includes services to handle user registration, entitlements, retailer integrations, content curation, metadata, search, recommendations, analytics, reporting, event collection, ETLs, data lakes, data ingest, CRM, APIs and external data feeds.
- Oversee delivery of projects involving a variety of technologies and ensure solutions align with long-term objectives
- Lead decision-making and collaboration across a broad network of stakeholders, delivery partners, and operational teams
- Direct, review and approve engineering architecture designs and implementations
- Lead operational excellence and appropriate incident management and resolution
- Create talent development plans for both the “people manager” and “individual contributor” levels of the engineering organization
- Hire, develop, and retain exceptional talent
- Effectively articulate complicated technology issues and advise Movies Anywhere leadership and key stakeholders on business implications of technology developments and trends
- Build and maintain productive relationships with partners from other segments within the Walt Disney Company, external partners, vendors and other services
- Forecast and manage project costs in close coordination with program management and finance teams
- 7+ yrs. of hands on experience with an object-oriented programming language (Java, C++, etc.), and strong working knowledge in: Scala, Python, or Go-Lang
- 5+ yrs. of hands on experience working with and designing database systems
- 5+ yrs. leadership experience, managing both individual contributors and people managers
- 5+ yrs. of experience using Agile SCRUM methodology, leading SCRUM teams
- Demonstrated working knowledge of data modeling, and real-time data pipelines
- Strong understanding of distributed systems and distributed computation
- Experience designing and deploying RESTful APIs
- Familiarity with Docker containers and Kubernetes
- Strong understanding of relational and NoSQL database systems, and the advantages/disadvantages to each
- Experience deploying applications in AWS or other cloud services
- Familiar with auth models and technologies such as OAuth, SAML, MFA, and reCAPTCHA
- Solid grasp on the fundamentals of DRM and video streaming formats such as HLS and MPEG-DASH
- Exceptional written, verbal, and presentation skills.
- Ability to interact with a diverse set of technical and non-technical stakeholders on highly complex projects.
- Proven track record in delivering complex projects using a recognized Agile project management methodology (Agile SCRUM, SAFe, Kanban, etc.)
- Passionate about television, movies, entertainment, and technology.
- Curiosity and an understanding of digital products in the OTT space, especially in the areas of user generated content and streaming services (e.g. YouTube, HBO NOW, DIRECTV NOW, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Netflix, FandagoNOW, VUDU, iTunes, Snapchat, and Facebook Video).
- Ability to meet aggressive and complex project milestones and simultaneously exceed customer expectations
- Excellent project management skills, resource and timeline management, risk assessment, contingency planning and ability to work with external contractors and consultants
- Ability to communicate with all levels of organization (End Users - Sr. Executive Level) and team members
- Ability to represent company interests with outside customers and vendors in a succinct and articulate manner
- Experience working in the media and entertainment industries strongly desired
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a similar field
- Advanced degree a plus
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Movies Anywhere, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Movies Anywhere is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.