Sr Data Engineer
The Walt Disney Studios
The Walt Disney Studios is comprised of large team of creative professionals who produce and acquire live-action and animated motion pictures, direct-to-video content, musical recordings and live stage plays that tell memorable, life changing stories. Few media and entertainment companies can rival the brands we have the honor of bringing to the world.
As part of the Studio’s Technology team you’ll be joining a group of seasoned, dedicated technologists solving a range of interesting problems in innovative ways in an exciting and dynamic industry. We’d like you to join the Data Services and make the magic happen through a different kind of story. Come innovate using data and technology to let our filmmakers, producers and countless others deliver.
- Empower the business - Support the business to unearth data, transform data, access data, and understand data.
- Create high quality software - Use agile techniques to build software and platforms; for example recommendation engines, analytics engines, advertising engines.
- Command data - Leverage petabytes of data, data mining, statistics, machine learning, deep learning, open source, orchestration tools, NoSQL, Apache Spark, and Apache Kafka.
- Collaborate - Work with developers, analysts, data scientists, programmers, marketers, filmmakers, finance, project management, product management and leaders to deliver amazing results
- 10+ years of programming experience and 3+ years of data pipeline experience.
- Speak the language - Be willing to create prose with at least two of Java, Kotlin, Scala, SQL, or Python. Know which to use for the time & purpose.
- <3 data - Hypothesize, discover, collect, iterate and prove.
- Achievement Unlocked: Inquisitive, Determined, Scholar - Be up for the challenge.
- #algorithm and #datastructures fanatic – Know distributed, parallel and probabilistic algorithms and data structures.
- Build > buy - Know the power of seeking out and putting together the right open source into a highly flexible and cohesive system instead of purchasing a solution that delivers a portion of the need, stops you from delivering the rest and ties you to your pricey investment
- Substantial equivalent research oriented analytical work experience preferred
- B.S. in Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering or a Physical Science from an accredited institution
About The Walt Disney Studios:
For over 90 years, The Walt Disney Studios has been the foundation on which The Walt Disney Company was built. Today the Studio brings quality movies, music and stage plays to consumers throughout the world. Feature films are released under the following banners: Disney, including Walt Disney Animation Studios and Pixar Animation Studios, Disneynature, Marvel Studios and Lucasfilm. The Disney Music Group encompasses the Walt Disney Records and Hollywood Records labels, as well as Disney Music Publishing. The Disney Theatrical Group produces and licenses live events, including Disney on Broadway, Disney On Ice and Disney Live!. Ours is a culture of innovation, inspiration and collaboration that brings together visionary artists, gifted technologists and savvy business minds to conjure up magical entertainment experiences for a global audience.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Pictures, which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Studios.
Walt Disney Pictures is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.