Staff Data Engineer
The Walt Disney Company
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.
The Staff Data Engineer position works on a central team of Data Systems Engineers and Administrators supporting Distributed Data Platforms for Disney Connected, Advanced Technologies and corporate development teams and customers. Primary focus of this position will be Data engineering product support, automation and service of operational and business processes for internet sites and corporate applications for The Walt Disney Company. Key responsibilities include DB technology evaluation, guidance and consultation, design support, task automation and scripting, best practice and standards development, capacity planning, optimization and tuning, system upgrades and migrations, performance management, monitoring, security, backup and recovery, issue troubleshooting, and documentation. Additional tasks as assigned.
- Responsible for level 2 systems management and exercises project-level control over initiatives.
- Excellent technical expertise in relevant state of the art data technologies, data security, data systems, and its design.
- Leads and coaches a team of senior data engineers and provides technical guidance to them. Develops, enhances and adheres to engineering and administration standards.
- Upholds and maintains strong documentation.
- The ideal candidate will have strong experience with at least one of the Pubic Cloud providers like AWS, Google Cloud Services and Azure and 6-8 years experience with products such as Cassandra, MongoDB, Spark etc. Relational Database Administration experience ein the past is a plus.
- 4-6 years of experience with managing large clusters for technologies such as- Cassandra, MongoDB, Spark, Solr.
- 2-3 years of experience writing automation under Cloudformation, Terraform, chef, and running data platform in AWS/Azure.
- 6-8 years’ experience with Linux Server platform designing secure, reliable, highly available, performant data services.
- 2-4 years of supporting a large data platform and data pipelining.
- Expertise in database administration including configuration, implementation, data modeling, maintenance, redundancy/HA/DR, security, troubleshooting/performance tuning, upgrades, database, data and server migrations, SQL
- 3 or more years of IT operational experience supporting robust e-commerce, gaming or online businesses in a 24X7 production environment(oncall)
- Thourough understanding in Security implmentations(IAM, SSL, encryption, firewall, wall garden) on Database, storage, network and Cloud environments. Participated in auditing exercise
- Expertise in configuring, implementing and supporting high availability redundancy strategies on systems including replication, clustering, log shipping, mirroring
- Expertise in database design and architectural principles and methodologies
- Expertise with Disaster Recovery planning and implementation
- Excellent knowledge of Storage subsystems- storage Engines, AWS Block storage, S3, EFS - types and relavant usecases.
- Ability to partner with relevant software vendors to determine near-term, long-term business impacts of product updates on our technology portfolio
- Knowledge of understanding of TCP/IP fundamentals (DNS, SSH), general networking technologies, AWS networkiong(VPC,security group), network architecture and connectivity troubleshooting.
- Bachelor Degree in computer science/information systems, or related field.
- Masters of Science in computer science/information systems, engineering.
About The Walt Disney Company (Corporate):
At Disney Corporate you can see how the businesses behind the Company’s powerful brands come together to create the most innovative, far-reaching and admired entertainment company in the world. As a member of a corporate team, you’ll work with world-class leaders driving the strategies that keep The Walt Disney Company at the leading edge of entertainment. See and be seen by other innovative thinkers as you enable the greatest storytellers in the world to create memories for millions of families around the globe.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Worldwide Services, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call The Walt Disney Company (Corporate).
Disney Worldwide Services, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.