Data Engineer, Center on Extremism
The Anti-Defamation League
POSITION TITLE: Data Engineer, Center on Extremism
REPORTS TO: Principal Data Scientist, Center on Extremism
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: None
LOCATION: Anywhere ADL has an office
GRADE/CLASS: Grade G, exempt, PSA-eligible
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION:
The Anti-Defamation League (ADL) is the leading anti-hate organization in the world. Founded in 1913 in response to an escalating climate of antisemitism and bigotry, its timeless mission is to stop the defamation of the Jewish people and secure justice and fair treatment to all. Today, ADL continues to fight antisemitism and all forms of hate using innovation and partnerships to drive impact. ADL’s ultimate goal is a world in which no individual or community suffers from bias, discrimination or hate.
ADL CEO Jonathan Greenblatt—an accomplished leader and entrepreneur in the corporate, public, and nonprofit sectors—was recruited to the organization in July 2015. He has injected new energy and brought a bold vision to the agency. Under Jonathan’s leadership, ADL is transforming itself, upgrading its capabilities and pioneering new horizons.
The Data Engineer, Center on Extremism (COE), will be responsible for maintaining COE’s data infrastructure. This includes data ingestion and data preparation in support of both ad hoc and long-term data science projects conducted by other COE colleagues. Data ingestion includes harvesting, integrating, consolidating, cleaning, maintaining, and preparing large datasets (e.g., social media, news websites, photos, videos etc) using automated and robust data ingestion pipelines. Data preparation will include establishing automated ETL pipelines and creating data annotation workflows for training ML models. Working closely with the Principal Data Scientist, the Data Engineer will also develop and report findings to relevant agency staff and outside stakeholders. Through the consulting nature of the data science team, the data engineer will contribute to a variety of projects and technologies, depending on COE’s emerging data needs in our fight against hate and extremism.
- Implement data ingestion and annotation flows to connect operational systems data for downstream data science tasks and analytics
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery and ingestion, re-designing data infrastructure for greater scalability, etc
- Build accessible data pipelines for downstream data science workflows such as ETL, data annotation and model training and descriptive analysis
- Assemble large and complex data sets that meet functional/non-functional business requirements
- Build and maintain the infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and cloud-based data storage technologies
- Build automated data pipelines to mine, scrape and collect large amounts of data from a range of sources (e.g., websites, social media platforms) using APIs and other methods (e.g., data scraping) where applicable
- Develop and maintain databases to facilitate analyses throughout the team
- Clean data through ETL pipelines in preparation for complex analyses to support the Principal Data Scientist
- Collaborate with Principal Data Scientist to answer and/or uncover research questions as they emerge relying on data
- Maintain data annotation workflows and tools
- Write internal memos and documentation (potentially using simple data visualization)
- Fluency in a SQL flavour (PostgreSQL preferred), experience with SQL performance tuning and E2E process optimization, database management and data profiling
- Fluency in software development (data engineering) in Python, R and bash preferred
- Experience with designing and building robust and scalable data ingestion pipelines, and ETL/ELT pipelines
- Experience with workflow management engines (i.e., Apache Airflow and MWAA, AWS Step Functions, Luigi, Prefect, Dagster, digdag.io, Google Cloud Composer etc)
- Experience with modern data storage systems and cloud technologies (e.g. AWS S3, AWS RDS, Snowflake, Athena, Amazon Redshift)
- Experience with social media APIs and web scraping to collect and harvest data from a variety of online sources
- Experience in data warehouse concept and design
- Demonstrated experience building analyst-friendly datasets
- Experience with data annotation tools and frameworks
- Ability to thrive in a demanding, fast-paced multi-tasking environment
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Strong interpersonal and effective communication skills and the ability to work in teams
- Comfortable with ambiguity, highly autonomous and entrepreneurial
- Excellent analytical skills, with high attention to detail
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment under pressure
- Passionate about continuous improvement, collaboration, and innovation
- An ability to learn and apply new technologies to improve data stack
- Willingness to collaborate with colleagues outside the data science team when necessary
- Knowledge of big data tools (Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc) preferred
- 2+ years of experience in data engineering preferred
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant technical field (e.g., mathematics, computer science, statistics), or equivalent experience
- ADL COVID-19 Protocol (updated periodically): ADL is adhering to CDC, State, local, and Federal orders regarding COVID-19. ADL will require that all employees are vaccinated with exceptions for medical and religious accommodations. ADL may require proof of vaccination. This role will start as a remote position but may transition to a hybrid environment when offices reopen.
- This position is a Grade G1, which has a salary midrange of $99,000 to $125,000. This salary midrange is reflective of a position based inu202fNew York, New York. Please note that actual salaries are commensurate with experience and reflect the budget for a given position, and since ADL has a location-based compensation structure, there may be a different range for candidates in other locations.u202f
ADL values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQ+ individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, and veterans to apply. ADL is an equal opportunity employer. Recruitment, hiring, promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in violation of any applicable Federal, state or local laws.
ADL will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation to support the interview process, please contact Talent & Knowledge at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ADL will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, and all other applicable State, Local, and Federal laws.