Director, Data Strategy and Operations
The American College of Chest Physicians
Responsible for defining and executing CHEST’s data management, business intelligence and analytics strategy, including the development and delivery of effective, reliable data optimization, modeling, and business intelligence tools, deriving actionable insight from complex data, and leveraging data to inform product and service development and improve business processes. Lead the acquisition and development of effective master data management and data warehouse solutions that deliver high quality, complete, and consistent data as the foundation for enabling the goals of our business strategy. Drive adoption of organization data standards and information governance processes. Foster a data-driven culture leading to the creation of data literacy and its related competencies across the organization to establish new enterprise capabilities.
Due to Covid restrictions, this position is work-from-home until further notice.
- Demonstrate a passion for crushing lung disease and embody CHEST values: honor the team, lead with integrity, leverage passion, cultivate innovation, and have serious fun.
- Direct the management and advancement of data governance principles, policies and programs for stewardship, advocacy, and custodianship of data and analytics, including techniques for quality data collection to ensure adequacy, accuracy and legitimacy of data.
- Define operating model and change management consideration for data governance and usage across the organization. Lead and direct staff team to collaborate with data owners and users throughout the organization to modify or implement new repeatable and reliable business processes in order to implement truly effective data governance.
- Direct and oversee the development, management and promotion of processes for identification, reporting and resolution of data quality issues, ensuring ongoing data consistency and integrity.
- Develop strategies for data acquisition for marketing and sales purposes. Identify new types and sources of data and cross-functional use cases to enable business innovation and cross-functional asset insights.
- Oversee the design and development of predictive and traditional analytics projects as well as qualitative and quantitative research projects. Ensure insights inform key business behaviors that drive member and customer acquisition, retention, engagement, needs assessments, and product development.
- Provide leadership and direction to team responsible for reporting, defining and visualizing metrics, advanced statistical modeling, and tracking dashboards to continuously and comparatively monitor business objectives in all business units.
- Ensure the necessary systems and technology platforms are in place to support development efforts and the continuous updating and maintenance of CHEST’s associated data.
- Partner with IT leadership to analyze business requirements and determine if needs can be met with existing commercial software or existing internally developed systems or would require custom programming.
- Manage and coach cross functional staff members who contribute to data governance and business analytics and intelligence. Develop team with impeccable credibility as thought leaders in the area of data strategy, management, insights, and governance. Ensure team members have in-depth expertise in data analytics skills.
- Complete other projects and tasks as assigned.
- BA/BS Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems Management, or other relevant field
- 5 or more years of experience in data governance or data quality
- 5 or more years of analytics experience; implementation, reporting and analysis is required.
- Knowledge and experience with:
- Business system requirements analysis
- Agile methodology preferred. Data Analytics platforms, such as Tableau
- Ability to analyze and document business processes
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to develop user test plans
- Teamwork and collaboration skills
- Training or certification in business intelligence, statistics, predictive analytics, or related field
- Significant experience with implementing and leading analytics and organization-wide data governance implementation efforts
- Strong managerial skills including demonstrated ability to be hands-on and to lead by example and instruction
- Experience in applying and using data mining and predictive analytics
- Association-specific business intelligence experience, including a thorough understanding of the key data management tools
- Deep business acumen, with the demonstrated ability to articulate and explain business intelligence strategies and findings to individuals at all levels of the organization
Desired Qualifications and Competencies:
- Experience in an association or nonprofit environment
This job description was designed as a convenience to acquaint employees and managers with the basic elements of the position. The duties of this position are not limited to what is contained in this description, and employees in this position may be asked to perform various functions not listed. This description is solely for the purpose of summarizing basic duties, and it is not intended to be a contract or guarantee of employment or of any specific terms or conditions of employment. This description may be amended or eliminated from time to time as necessary for operational or business reasons.