Democracy Data Analyst
About the International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES): IFES advances democracy for a better future. We collaborate with civil society, public institutions, and the private sector to build resilient democracies that deliver for everyone. As the global leader in the promotion and protection of democracy, our technical assistance and applied research develops trusted electoral bodies capable of conducting credible elections; effective and accountable governing institutions; civic and political processes in which all people can safely and equally participate; and innovative ways in which technology and data can positively serve elections and democracy. Since 1987, IFES has worked in more than 145 countries, from developing to mature democracies.
PRIMARY FUNCTION/PURPOSE: As a core member of a team of IFES technical experts, the Democracy Data Analyst will use advanced analytical techniques to position IFES as a leader in the use of data to inform programming in the democracy, rights and governance (DRG) field.
The Democracy Data Analyst will collaborate with IFES technical and regional experts to provide insights into trends impacting our programs, identify factors that lead to positive outcomes, provide relevant data to guide or support IFES strategic thinking, and communicate key thematic outcomes from the data analytics practice to the DRG community. The ideal Democracy Data Analyst will bring an interest in civic and electoral data and a passion for defending and strengthening democracies that deliver for all.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Democracy Data Analyst will work collaboratively across the technical teams in the Center for Applied Research and Learning under the direction of the Director, Monitoring and Evaluation and Survey Research, to undertake the following key duties and responsibilities:
- Synthesize data sets, from publicly available sources and data available to IFES through its global programming and partnerships, into meaningful and evidence-based findings, including data visualization and infographics;
- Develop streamlined tools and approaches for data analytics that can be used on a consistent basis in IFES programming;
- Inform IFES strategic thinking and forward-looking development of IFES research/thought leadership to identify emerging trends that either support democratic practices or counter democratic backsliding in a variety of settings;
- Support IFES outreach and marketing by developing data-based communication products that position IFES as a leader in use of data to support democratic consolidation;
- Identify new datasets that can be developed with IFES partners or staff, as well as through the novel application of existing data sources;
- Work with the IFES Monitoring & Evaluation and Survey Research (MEASURE) team and other partners to help develop innovative quantitative and qualitative measures to gauge progress at the country, sector, and institutional levels;
- Work with Center experts to develop programs that builds capacity among IFES staff and partners in the use of data for decision-making; and
- Engage with academia, donors, and other key stakeholders to keep up-to-date on emerging innovations and trends within the fields of data management, program evaluation, and data visualization/analysis technology and to present key learnings from IFES data analytics practice.
RELATIONSHIPS: The Democracy Data Analyst will report to the Director, Monitoring and Evaluation and Survey Research. They are also expected to work closely with Senior Technical Advisors in the Center for Research and Applied Leadership, with senior regional program team leadership and Country Directors at IFES, and with IFES leadership for communications and strategy development purposes.
Education: Bachelor’s degree (or higher) in political science, public policy, statistics, data science, computer science, mathematics, economics, or related fields.
Experience: 5 - 10 years’ experience working, analyzing, and presenting with qualitative and/or quantitative data to inform programmatic and strategic decision-making, and a solid understanding of the strengths and limitations of such data. Experience in the DRG field or on electoral issues is preferred, but not required. The role requires critical – and creative – thinking and problem-solving and the ability to distill findings into clear and engaging written, visual, and oral communications.
Technical skills: Experience using one or more data visualization tools including Tableau, Excel, Power BI, Qlik, or other data analytic and visualization software. Experience using one or more programming languages including R, Python, SQL, NOSQL, Scala, Julia, or C++ is a plus, but not required.
Language skills: Fluency in English required. Fluency in other languages, such as Spanish, French, Arabic, or sign language, is helpful but not required.
Travel: Some travel to IFES field offices may be expected as part of this position. Travel for conferences or other professional engagements is also anticipated.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT: Standard office work environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
WHAT WE OFFER:
- A dynamic and collaborative working environment
- Medical, Dental, and Vision insurance
- Monthly Benefit Allowance paid directly to all employees
- Employer paid life and AD&D insurance at 3x base salary
- 401(k) retirement plan with 1:1 employer match up to 6%
- Employer paid Short and Long-Term Disability insurance
- Generous vacation (starting at 3 weeks and increasing with time of service), sick leave, and personal leave
- 11 Paid Holidays
- Paid Parental Leave
- Employee Assistance Program
“All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment/promotions and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, race, color, religion, national origin, veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.
IFES takes affirmative action with respect to the employment and promotion of women, minorities, individuals with disabilities, and covered veterans. IFES will also take affirmative action on the basis of sexual orientation and gender identity.
IFES is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor”