PostgreSQL Database Developer
WaterSuite is a software solutions company that delivers innovative technology and services to the drinking water community. Our flagship cloud-based solution, WaterSuite.com is transforming the way water quality professionals plan, protect, monitor, and respond to the environmental challenges and emerging issues they face every day. If you want to be part of a team working to help ensure the world has access to clean, safe drinking water, and the intelligence the industry needs to succeed in that goal, then WaterSuite is the place for you.
The PostgreSQL Database Developer is responsible for developing database code powering the WaterSuite.com cloud platform. This is a central role in our development team that will build effective APIs that access and manipulate very large datasets, many of them geospatial, working with product managers, front end developers, GIS analysts, DBAs and scientists as needed.
- Implement and maintain database code in the form of stored procedures, scripts, queries, views, triggers, etc.
- Work closely with the CTO to implement effective and maintainable database coding practices that form an architectural foundation.
- Work with front end developers to define simple yet powerful APIs.
- Work with GIS analysts to implement geospatial processes, queries and reports.
- Work with DBAs to ensure efficiency of database code, integrity of data structures and quality of data content.
- Work with product managers to ensure database code meets requirements.
- Work with DBAs and data analysts to ensure database code is accurately documented.
- Participate as a member in Agile teams, and work with other team members to review user stories, estimate effort to build functionality supporting user stories, and participate in sprint reviews.
- 3+ years working as a database developer working with PostgreSQL
- Expert Level SQL, PL/pgSQL, including stored procedures, functions, triggers, and views.
- Knowledge of JSON and PostgreSQL support for JSON.
- PostGIS proficiency and grasp of core geospatial concepts.
- Ability to efficiently write database code without compromising data quality, privacy or security.
- Knowledge of database design principles, query optimization, index management, integrity checks, statistics and isolation levels
- Able to handle multiple tasks in a fast paced environment
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to evaluate alternative solutions and/or workarounds
- Experience with NoSQL databases (e.g. Apache Cassandra) and NoSQL support in PostgreSQL
- Experience working with time series databases (e.g. KairosDB).
- Experience with message queuing, full text indexing, and other other high performance data concepts.
- Demonstrable experience working with huge, interdependent, complex datasets and data structures.
- Bachelors Degree in computer science or relevant field with equivalent experience.
- General office environment.
- Required to work in a fast paced environment with multiple interruptions from other co-workers, vendors, clients, etc.
- May be required to stoop, kneel, crouch, reach, lift and carry during the course of the work shift. Maybe required to lift up to 10 lbs. during the course of the work shift.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.