Enterprise Data Architect - Business Intelligence
Our 45,000 employees are committed to Environmental Performance - our mission to maximize resource value, while minimizing environmental impact so that both our economy and our environment can thrive. Serving over 20 million residential, industrial, municipal and commercial customers, Waste Management draws on our resources and experience as we actively pursue projects and initiatives that benefit the waste industry, the communities we serve and the environment.
- Waste Management uses waste to create enough energy to power more than 1 million homes every year. By 2020, we expect to double that output, creating enough energy to power more than 2 million homes.
- As North America's largest recycler, Waste Management managed more than 8 million tons of recyclable commodities. By the year 2020, we expect to increase the amount of material we manage to more than 20 million tons per year.
- Waste Management has over 120 landfill-gas-to-energy projects producing more than 540 megawatts of power, the equivalent of powering approximately 400,000 homes.
- Currently, we had more than 1,000 natural gas-powered trucks in our fleet, which is the largest in the industry.
Join a team of Award-Winning Technologists at Work. Waste Management is honored to be recognized as a leader in information technology by such a prestigious institution as the InformationWeek 500. To enable our business to expand our lead in a market increasingly enhanced by technology, Waste Management, Inc. is undertaking a substantial technology transformation. We are seeking talented Information Technology Professionals to join the Waste Management corporate IT team and participate in this ongoing effort.
To enable our business to expand our lead in a market increasingly enhanced by technology, Waste Management is undertaking a substantial technology transformation. We currently has an opportunity for an Enterprise Data Architect that has expert understanding of Data Warehousing, Business Intelligence development, and data modeling concepts.
The Enterprise Data Architect (DA) is responsible for understanding and directing the needs of the data architecture discipline within Enterprise Business Intelligence (EBI) organization. The DA must be a confident communicator who is enthusiastic, self-starting and flexible in style and approach. The DA must establish and maintain good relationships across the business and IT communities at all levels of leadership. While the candidate must be well versed in a broad array of technology and business areas, it is vital that they be capable of tailoring the communication to the audience. The DA must be able to express opinions in a tactful method that fosters collaboration and influences the overall team to a solution that is of benefit to the enterprise.
Expectations of the DA will include:
- Standardize data management infrastructure by overseeing the standard usage of tools for data modeling and metadata management.
- Identify and prioritize major data subjects for the enterprise
- Establish Data Owners and Data Stewards for each data subject
- Oversee the assignment of data security classifications and data retention rules for each data subject and its elements
- Ensure there is a consistent standard data dictionary and data definition for each data subject
- Influence adoption of standard data definitions across the enterprise
- Oversee the definition/maintenance of data models, data dictionaries, and master data management techniques
- Oversee enterprise data architecture for major initiatives/projects
- Set formal standards, policies and processes regarding data architecture
- Establishes the data view of an application inventory to signify point of origination, and ownership through out a data subjects' life cycle
- Influences the use of standard data definition in cross-application and cross-enterprise interfaces
- Identifies the accepted industry standards used to communicate with external entities
- Facilitates the development of mapping between source and target schemas
- Work effectively with all levels of the technical and non-technical organizational while proactively strengthening relationships.
- Facilitate discussions and issue resolution using a fact-based approach.
- Identify opportunities to improve enterprise-wide solutions, tools, methodologies, processes and procedures.
- Collaborate with other architects across the organization to develop best practices.
- Bachelors Degree (Masters Preferred)
- Five to seven years performing the following functions:
- Performing an enterprise architecture role, including the development and enforcement of data standards and leading practices
- Using data modeling techniques for large data stores (Relational and Multi-Dimensional)
- Working with business and IT personnel on data-related issues
- Designing and implementing enterprise data warehouses and large-scale business reporting
- At least ten years of data warehouse development experience in leadership capacity using RDBMS such as Oracle/Teradata/Netezza
- Mastery skills within the ER/Studio data modeling tool (or equivalent such as Erwin)
- Extensive experience with EDW implementation of 10+ TB
- Well versed with Inmon/Kimball methodologies among other DW principles.
- Strong communicator with a track record of delivery and broad organizational influence
- Experience with deploying and using Business Intelligence tools
- Experience with relational and multi-dimensional databases
- Experience with Massively Parallel Processing (MPP) principles and architecture
- Experience with overcoming data quality challenges
- Experience in working with ETL, ELT, and CDC tools
- Experience in planning/deploying an enterprise data warehouse initiative
- Ability to thrive in the face of ambiguity
- Capable of working with limited direction both independently and with a group
- Critical thinking
- Excellent problem solving
- Strong presentation skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent facilitation and coaching.
- Multitasking and task prioritization
- Drive for results
At Waste Management, each eligible employee receives a competitive total compensation package including Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and Short Term Disability. As well as Stock Purchase Plan, Company match on 401k plan, and more! Our employees also receive Paid Vacation, Holidays and Personal Days. Please note that benefits may vary by site.
Houston, TX 77002