Coordinator, Geothermal Data
University of Nevada, Reno
The Great Basin Center for Geothermal Energy (GBCGE) is seeking applications for a Coordinator, Geothermal Data position. The Great Basin Center for Geothermal Energy (GBCGE) is located within the Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology (NBMG) at the University of Nevada, Reno. This position will be responsible for collecting, compiling, cataloging, maintaining, and publicly-disseminating information related to Nevada's geothermal resources, including geotechnical reports, well datasets, geological, geophysical and hydrological data, and core samples from geothermal drilling in Nevada. This will include new geothermal data generated by ongoing geothermal exploration, development, and research. A major goal of this position is to facilitate future scientific breakthroughs, resource exploration, and sustainable development of Nevada’s geothermal resources by ensuring that various user groups can access the most up-to-date, quality-controlled geothermal geoscientific datasets and information. This involves:
1) the diligent curation, electronic conversion, and image capture of legacy and new materials and physical samples
2) development and maintenance of digital, interoperable databases to store Nevada’s geochemical, geophysical and geological data as related to geothermal resources
3) delivery of information on the NBMG/GBCGE/National Geothermal Data System (NGDS) websites, through various interactive and ArcGIS web interfaces to ensure that the data are discoverable and accessible.
Required Qualifications: Bachelors Degree and two years of relevant work experience OR Master’s Degree and one year of relevant work experience.
- Work experience in Geology, Geophysics, Geography, Computer Science, or a related field
- Experience with use and/or development of relational database management systems and experience with SQL (structured query language).
- Experience with Python or other programming language for data manipulation and workflow automation.
- Experience with GIS software (basic analysis, data transformation, and cartography)
- Experience with ESRI ArcGIS 10.x, ArcGIS Pro, ArcGIS Online, geodatabases, web service publishing and web applications.
- Experience with Jupyter Notebooks and geospatial scripting packages.
- Experience working with large datasets (100s of GBs).
Certification and Licensure:
- Driver’s License
Schedule or Travel Requirements:
- Occasional travel may be required
- Variable work schedule
Department Information: The Great Basin Center for Geothermal Energy (GBCGE) is located within the Nevada Bureau of Mines and Geology (NBMG) at the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR). The successful applicant will be joining a vibrant, motivated team in the GBCGE who are dedicated to geothermal science and increasing our understanding of geothermal resource potential in the western USA and beyond. The team includes students, research scientists and faculty from within NBMG, the Department of Geological Sciences and Engineering, and the Desert Research Institute. Please find more information here: https://gbcge.org/
This posting is open until filled. Qualified individuals are encouraged to apply immediately with an initial review of applications starting August 15, 2023.
For more information, and to apply, please visit: https://nshe.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com/UNR-external/job/University-of-Nevada-Reno---Main-Campus/Coordinator--Geothermal-Data_R0137901
EEO/AA. Women, under-represented groups, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.