Sr. Big Data Engineer
Think Finance is a global technology firm that develops next generation financial products. A big part of our continued success will be gaining much better customer insights through a wide variety of structured and unstructured data sources, aka “Big Data”. The Big Data Engineer will play a critical role in architecting, developing and integrating the systems that will provide the backbone for this capability.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- You are comfortable working with a highly skilled analytics team. You will be building data processing solutions to services the groups’ analytical needs and objectives, and must be prepared to not back down from challenging requests.
- You have experience in being a primary driver that shapes the analytical environments to be used in critical initiatives and enjoy being tasked with tough assignments.
- You are comfortable with working with a “blank slate”.
- You must be comfortable working with cutting edge big data management platforms and utilities like, Hive, Pig, Flume, Cloudera, Hortonworks, Greenplum etc.
- You will be required to be curious and innovative. Problems to you are not unsolvable, they just need to be looked and explored differently.
- You are a firm believer in automation.
- You are comfortable working with Terabytes of information, coming from a large number of diverse sources, in various formats.
- You are comfortable with Agile SDLC processes, including migration from development to production.
Experience and Education:
- BS/MS in Computer Science or related degree
- Minimum of 6 years systems development and implementation experience
- Minimum of 2 years of hands-on experience with programming on high-scale or distributed systems (such as Hadoop)
- Hands-on experience with the Hadoop stack (e.g. MapReduce, Sqoop, Pig, Hive, Hbase, Flume)
- Hands-on experience with related/complementary open source software platforms and languages (e.g. Java, Linux, Apache, MySQL, Python)
- Hands-on experience with ETL (Extract-Transform-Load) tools (e.g Informatica, Talend, Pentaho)
- Hands-on experience with BI tools and reporting software (e.g. Microstrategy, Cognos, Pentaho)
- Hands-on experience with analytical tools, languages, or libraries (e.g. SAS, SPSS, R, Mahout)
- Hands-on experience with commercial and open source SQL databases, including in-memory variants.
- Hands-on experience with NoSQL databases (e.g. Neo4j, MogoDB, Cassandra, Redis)
- Experience developing capacity plans for new and existing systems
Required Skills, Abilities, Soft Skill Factors:
- Creative and strategic thinker with the ability to influence, build trusted relationships across the institution, deal constructively with conflict, and adapt to a fast-paced environment involving multiple and simultaneous issues
- Solid analytical and problem solving skills - Ability to analyze trends, investigate issues, and suggest solutions to challenges
- Takes the initiative to get things done under aggressive timelines
- Works effectively in the faces of stress, ambiguity, difficult situations and shifting priorities
- Challenges the status quo thinking to generate new ideas; takes open minded approach to situations
- Refined written and verbal communication skills - Ability to foster open communications, listen effectively, and tailor message to multiple audiences
- Extensive knowledge of SAS/SQL and other risk management technology with the ability to leverage such tools to improve the organization’s decision making criteria
- Ability to demonstrate good judgment and professionalism on cross platform projects with short deadlines