Sr Data Analyst
The Walt Disney Studios
The Walt Disney Studios – Studio Technology: Sr. Data Analyst
Are you curious, creative, and love data? Do you love to learn new things and collaborate to solve hard and interesting problems? Do you want to be on the cutting edge of breakthroughs in data and analytics, encouraged to discover, challenged to think bigger, and supported to learn new things personally and professionally? Do you love the challenge and excitement that comes with not knowing today, what problem you might be working on tomorrow? Do you thrive in a high paced environment? Do you want to “make a difference” with the work you do?
The Walt Disney Studios (TWDS) is seeking a Sr. Data Analyst to oversee the design, build, and testing of formulas for complex metrics/KPIs, (Lifetime Value, Cost Per Registered User, Retention Curves), machine learning methods, and analytics models to support the Disney Movies Anywhere team within the TWDS. This position will report to the Director of Analytics for TWDS. The goal of this team is to create a competitive advantage for TWDS using data.
As a trusted creator of premium entertainment experiences for the whole family, The Walt Disney Studios is committed to making it easier than ever for consumers to grow their digital movie libraries in a seamless and family-friendly experience. Disney Movies Anywhere (DMA) is The Walt Disney Studios’ exclusive cloud-based digital movie service. This app for iOS, Android and Web experiences enables consumers to discover, purchase, manage, and watch movies from Disney, Pixar, Marvel, and Star Wars at home and on the go.
The Sr. Data Analysts will research, design, implement and validate algorithms to analyze diverse sources of data to achieve targeted outcomes. The role will provide expertise on mathematical concepts and machine learning for the broader analytics team and inspire the adoption of advanced analytics and data science.
- Development of prototype solutions, mathematical models, algorithms, machine learning techniques, and robust analytics to support analytic insights and visualization of complex data sets
- Provide optimization recommendations that drive KPIs established by product, marketing, operations, PR teams, and others
- Drive innovation by exploring new experimentation methods and statistical techniques that could sharpen or speed up our product decision-making processes
- Develop and deploy testing hypotheses and analyze test results, providing the necessary analytical rigor to ensure data quality, consistency, repeatability, and accuracy of insights
- Leverage analytical tools to understand consumer behavior, e.g. click through rates, golden pathways, conversion analysis, marketing effectiveness
- Ask and answer the next question(s) after gathering and analyzing the data to make insights more powerful – not just delivering what was asked for!
- Desire to participate in an “Open Source” learning environment where sharing, documenting, teaching, and collaborating with others is the culture
- 5+ years relevant experience with a proven track record of leveraging analytics to drive significant business impact.
- Statistical knowledge and intuition - ideally utilized in A/B testing
- Experience with distributed databases and query languages like Hive, Spark, Scala, or Pig
- Programming experience with a scripting language such as Python, Perl, Java, or Ruby.
- Proficiency with a statistical analysis tool such as R or SAS
- Relational, no-SQL, and/or columnar data experience required
- Experience with SQL
- Machine learning experience
- Strong knowledge of Google Analytics, Omniture, Kochava, and/or other web or mobile analytic toolset
- Ability to tell a story with data – What does the analysis tell you? What do you think the business should do next? Why do you think what is happening, is happening? Ability to influence others with the story of what you’re seeing in the data to make business recommendations
- Ability and desire to lead projects independently from start to finish, working with internal and external teams to make decisions and maintain momentum
- Excellent time and project management skills, with the ability to manage detail work and communicate project status effectively to all levels
- Proven track record in meeting aggressive deadlines
PhD or MS degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Operations Research, CS, Econometrics or related field
This position is with ABC, Inc., an equal opportunity employer