Director of Business Intelligence
The Motley Fool
The Motley Fool, a financial media company in Alexandria, VA, is looking for a Director of Business Intelligence to plan and direct the development and operations of the data and analytic infrastructure used by the Fool for listening to, understanding, segmenting/targeting, and communicating to members in relevant and personalized ways, and for monitoring and improving the success of these communications.
We’re an innovative company that publishes newsletters, articles, and books to teach individuals how to invest better. As Director of Business Intelligence, you would help other departments and teams better understand how people interact with our products. With great benefits and a fun approach to our jobs, the Fool is routinely ranked as one of the Washington DC metro area’s best places to work!
- Evolve our 360-degree view of the member/household, and direct the architecture, systems and processes to support the integrated member data collection, maintenance, integration and use.
- Direct the development of the data warehouse, targeting and analytic/reporting applications, through both hands-on work, and team leadership.
- Demonstrate thought leadership and subject matter expertise on how to leverage scope and nature of data to enhance digital experience of members, while improving bottom line results.
- Assure the timing and quality-assured operations of databases, analysis tools, and business reports.
- Collaborate with other parts of the organization (including Tech, Finance, Marketing Analytics, etc.) to support their needs for marketing data and business intelligence.
- Establish and maintain service approaches supporting the request and fulfillment of campaign activities, business intelligence and analytics.
- Lead and mentor direct reports and other team members in the day-to-day management and use of the company’s marketing technology systems.
- Respond nimbly on questions and requests regarding key business and competitive metrics and trends, demonstrating mastery of the data and the context within which it is used.
- A self-directed problem-solver with the ability to cope under pressure and coordinate multiple activities in a dynamic, fast-paced team environment.
- A successful track record of IT leadership, development, execution and delivery. Experience leading a data warehouse and reporting applications team. 8+ years of relevant experience, including 3+ years in a leadership role.
- Excellent management, leadership, organizational, communication and client service skills with active-listening skills, and the ability to prioritize staff responsibilities based on criticality or business impact.
- Experience in leading data warehousing technologies, particularly SQL Server 2005/2008 R2/2012. Other relevant experience may include Oracle, Teraadata, MySQL, and IBM DB2.
- Experience in Reporting and Analysis tools, particularly SQL, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS), and PowerPivot. Other relevant experience may include SAS, SPSS, Cognos, Microstrategy, Hyperion, Qlikview, Tableau, or similar.
- Experience in Web Analytic tools and strategies, with desired experience with Adobe Omniture Insightt/Visual Sciences, and Google Analytics. Other relevant experience may include Discover, Site Catalyst, WebTrends, and IBM Coremetrics.
- Experience in Competitive Intelligence tools, including Hitwise, Nieslsen @Plan, Compete, Quantcast, and ComScore.
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant technology or business-oriented area; advanced degree is a plus.
- Experience with online direct-to-consumer marketing company (with special consideration given to people with experience in online publishing and financial services). A personal passion for investing is also a plus.
Alexandria, VA 22314