Big Data Engineer
Tapjoy is a mobile advertising and monetization platform whose unique Mobile Value Exchange model allows users to select personalized advertisements with which to engage for virtual rewards or premium content. Tapjoy helps unlock mobile joy by empowering more than one billion mobile users who choose to watch videos, subscribe to services, install applications and participate in other types of advertisements in exchange for virtual rewards they can use in their favorite apps. Tapjoy’s turnkey in-app advertising platform helps developers acquire cost-effective, high-value new users and monetize their applications, while its powerful advertising marketplace lets brand advertisers reach a global mobile audience spanning more than 116,000 applications. Tapjoy is backed by top-tier investors, including J.P. Morgan Asset Management, Rho Ventures, North Bridge Venture Partners, InterWest Partners and D.E. Shaw Ventures. Headquartered in San Francisco, the company also has offices in New York, Boston, Los Angeles, Chicago, Atlanta, Santa Barbara, London, Paris, Dusseldorf, Beijing, Shanghai, Seoul and Tokyo. For more information, please visit www.tapjoy.com.
Harnessing data from one billion mobile devices, Tapjoy is seeking a proactive and outgoing Data Software Engineer to work with our Data Science group on a plethora of interesting Big Data projects. We need someone who has worked for 3+ years in high volume environments with very large data sets in a fast paced environment. Tapjoy is Big Data driven! Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following as additional roles and/or focus will be needed as the company and department continues to grow and evolve:
- Design/Implement/Maintain Hadoop solutions for supporting raw-event collections and load into Data warehouse
- Assist internal clients on providing strategic & ad-hoc data ETL solutions
- On call rotation for 1st/2nd level system and data support
- Optimize Hadoop infrastructure for faster, reliable solution with billions of daily records
- Work closely with Data Scientist /Data Research Engineers for building personalized advertising service back end
- Research and Development to innovate mobile data driven approaches on top of Hadoop technical stacks (Hbase/Pig/Storm/Impala etc.)
- B.S., M.S. or Ph.D. in Computer Science or equivalent
- Working experience on Apache Hadoop platforms and tools including, but not limited to Hadoop, Hbase or Pig
- Objected Oriented Language experience (Java preferred)
- Scripting language: Ruby, Python, Perl and/or Shell Scripting
- Proficient with SQL
- Prior experience with ETL projects—daily, we are processing billions of raw events, and knowing how to scale is a big plus
- Data instrumentation/capture/tracking experience is preferred, but not required
In addition, the successful candidate will clearly demonstrate the ability to work independently as part of a team that makes use of an iterative development approach. The candidate must thrive in a rapidly changing environment and take initiative to ensure that projects succeed. This role is driven by data processing within an ever changing landscape that involves working with scaling systems using MapReduce.
So...why would you want to work for Tapjoy?
The real question is...why wouldn't you?
- We are a small company doing very big things
- We value innate intelligence, the curiosity to learn more, and the ability to solve problems - and we provide a ton of autonomy in which to do this
- The mobile app space is a large opportunity and will continue to grow. We've done well so far and we clearly see where we need to go - and now we need your help to get there
San Francisco, CA 94104