Manager, Data Science and Strategic Analytics
TE Connectivity (NYSE: TEL) is a $13 billion world leader in connectivity. The company designs and manufactures products at the heart of electronic connections for the world’s leading industries including automotive, energy and industrial, broadband communications, consumer devices, healthcare, and aerospace and defense. TE Connectivity’s long-standing commitment to innovation and engineering excellence helps its customers solve the need for more energy efficiency, always-on communications and ever-increasing productivity. With nearly 90,000 employees in over 50 countries, TE Connectivity makes connections the world relies on to work flawlessly every day. To connect with the company, visit: www.TE.com.
The Global Data Science and Strategic Analytics team is a new corporate team being formed by TE Connectivity’s Executive Team. The team reports to the SVP of Strategy and Business Development and will have regular interactions with the company’s C-Suite. The leader of this new team is looking for talented quantitative individuals to help solve on some of the largest strategic issues facing TE globally. If you enjoy using data and analytics to solve complex problems and make a large impact, you are encouraged to apply.
The team's focus will span generating analytic insights, creating quantitative strategies and developing external quantitative related business development and partnership opportunities.
The Manager, Data Science and Strategic Analytics, will provide data-driven answers to complex strategic challenges. The scope of such challenges may span every business line and every geographic location within TE Connectivity. This role will perform analysis and synthesis along the insight generation continuum, from strategy formation through presentation. In addition, the Manager will participate in continuous process improvement activities, help in managing projects, and execute ad-hoc requests from the Global Lead, Global Data Science and Strategic Analytics. Although this position will be based out of Bewryn, Pennsylvannia there will be some flexibility with respect to location.
Responsibilities & Qualifications:
Daily work will involve performing one or more of the following activities:
- Translating a complex strategic challenge into relevant analytic framework(s):
- Setup and lead meetings to gather business requirements using interviews and questionnaire.
- Ask probing questions to understand business intent and how the end-results will be used. Surface implicit assumptions by the business user. Agree on template end-deliverables.
- Perform due diligence to ensure data is obtainable for the analysis required, and the analysis can be completed in the timeline requested.
- Create a short project management plan defining the scope (number and type of analyses, assumptions) and timeline. Get approval from supervisor and requester.Gathering, cleaning and structuring existing data:
Gathering, cleaning and structuring existing data:
- Identify relevant data sources (from data warehouses, CRM, ERP, web logs, business intelligence, partner data sources, research reports, surveys, and interviews).
- Determine appropriate analytic approach (e.g. skim relevant data or creation of structured database for manipulation, etc.)
- Where required, pull data into analytic environment using Oracle, SQL, Hadoop, Access or Excel.
- Where relevant, clean and structure data to facilitate analysis.
- Identify and catalog strengths and weakness of respective data sources, noting areas of questionable data that could sidetrack analytic output.
Formulating hypotheses for testing and designing experiments to capture new data:
- Identify practical approach to test and learn key hypotheses to extend analytic insight.
- Design, implement and manage new approaches for data capture/databases.
- Leverage new data and/or experiment results to extend analytic frameworks/algorithms.
Applying appropriate decision technology tools, algorithms and methodologies:
- Identify appropriate decision technology techniques to apply to relevant analytic frameworks. Examples of decision technology tools that may be used include optimization, simulation, regression, decision trees, neural networks, cluster analysis, mixed models, etc.
- Set up model and conduct analyses using tools using Excel and SPSS. Additional tools may include MatLab, MapReduce, JMP, SAP BI, IBM Cognos, R, SAS, Minitab.
- Write custom code (e.g., using Visual Basic for Excel) as required.
- A knowledge of all above decision technology techniques and tools beyond Excel and SAS or SPSS is not required for this position. However, the position does require an individual who possesses a strong curiosity to learn and apply data science techniques and tools. Training will be provided.
- Document steps, data sources. Ensure models are easily understandable and maintainable.
Distilling and presenting analytic results to a non-technical audience:
- Create and deliver executive level presentations.
A rigorous understanding of the fundamentals of statistics applied to business challenges and microeconomics is required
- 3-5+ years of experience in data analysis, business development or corporate strategy with heavy emphasis on data-driven decision making is required.
- Strong proficiency in Excel and SPSS and/or SAS required.
- A strong curiosity to learn and apply data science techniques and tools is required.
- Require: Strong undergraduate and/or graduate degree in STEM disciplines (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) or in other disciplines with heavy focus on statistics. Quantitative-oriented MBA desired.
- Familiarity with decision techniques including optimization, simulation, regression, decision trees, neural networks, cluster analysis, mixed models, is preferred.
- Proven ability to work within a climate of ambiguity.
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills a must.
- Strong business acumen; sound business-sense and judgment.
- Demonstrated leadership competencies such as teamwork, creative problem solving, flexibility and willingness to challenge the status quo.
- Excellent relationship management, strong team building, and the ability to work across business units and functions within complex organizations.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and negotiation skills is desired.
Berwyn, PA 19312