Who You Are
You are passionate about databases and data problems. You relish the opportunity to tune databases, optimize queries, design schemas, and write reports. You've never encountered a query that's fast enough. Big Data does not scare you. You're comfortable working with highly-available, highly-transacted Production databases, as well as data analytics.
You've worked with open-source databases, and you're comfortable with, or keen to learn, new database technologies. You enjoy working in a fast-paced environment. You're not tied to any technology, and you love to keep up-to-date on new trends.
You will be part of a fun, fast-paced and highly collaborative team that delivers new platform functionality, stability and performance improvements. Working with our PostgreSQL and Greenplum databases, you will work closely with our Software Engineering team to implement new database features, write complex SQL statements, and review data definition updates. You will work with our Analytics and Business teams to optimize queries, and create ad-hoc reports. You will work on IT initiatives and database administration, including backups, scripting and processing data, data warehousing, redundancy, replication and high availability strategies. You will work with other members of the Engineering and IT teams to maintain greater than 99.99% platform uptime and to ensure queries are running optimally.
- Manage, maintain, and troubleshoot databases and data models that support business, web, and data warehouse applications, ensuring all services are operational 24x7x365
- Work with team members to tune the PostgreSQL databases to meet new functional and performance releases and resolve complex database problems through research, analysis and expertise
- Perform database monitoring, maintenance, reorganizations, resource management, schema management, and capacity planning
- Work with the Analytics team to create and optimize queries and reports
- Strong desire to learn about RDMS, and large data sets
- Strong UNIX/Linux knowledge and experience in scripting languages such as BASH, Python, or Perl
- Ability to provide support for development, test, and production environments
- Ability to work independently, solution focused, and be detail orientated
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in both oral and written English
Desired Experience and Knowledge
- B.S. degree in Information Technology or Computer Science
- Knowledge of PostgreSQL and Greenplum technologies
- Specific experience in PostgreSQL Streaming Replication and Pgpool Failover
- A passion for new trends and features in the data community
- Able to bring best practices at solving database and overall application related problems
- Avid open source supporter.
San Francisco, CA 94111