Director of Data Science and Analytics (Remote)
Who We Are
At Statespace we’re using cognitive science, artificial intelligence, and video games to revolutionize the way that humans improve.
Our first product, Aim Lab, is a personalized training platform that helps gamers learn about their strengths and weaknesses and train for the game they love. Aim Lab has over 18 million players around the world and is available for free on Steam and even on Roblox. Aim Lab also has official partnerships with some of the biggest publishers, including Riot, Ubisoft, and Activision Blizzard.
Our team consists of scientists, designers, engineers, and game industry vets coming together from places like NYU, MTV, NASA, Yale, Nintendo, and the NFL. We are well-funded and supported by some of the world’s best investors and entrepreneurs, including Khosla Ventures, FirstMark Capital, Lux Capital, Expa Capital, and WndrCo.
Weird. Non-traditional background. Underdog. Outcast. If people have used any of these words or phrases to describe you...welcome home. Kick-ass engineer or designer without a degree? Come join our team.
We hire talented, self-motivated people and get out of their way. We are based in NYC but have a remote work culture and are looking for exceptional people to join our team regardless of their physical location.
We value performance, not hours worked (or when you work them). We believe you shouldn’t have to miss your kid’s play or doctor’s appointment for the sake of adhering to an arbitrary work schedule.
However, if you are looking for a job where you are happy to just collect a nice paycheck and/or nap under your desk like George Costanza, we are not the right fit for you (we don’t even have desks).
The work we do is hard, and therefore, a key company goal is to mitigate needless obstacles that prevent our team members from accomplishing their goals. To that end, our vacation policy is “take it whenever you want to”, our PTO policy is “take it whenever you need to”. We offer very generous medical, dental, vision, and retirement plans.
The Director of Data Science & Analytics role
We are seeking an analytic leader with strong business acumen to build, inspire and lead a new business analytics function within Statespace. We pride ourselves as being a science driven tool to deliver key insights into human performance and offer our users ways to train themselves to overcome their current limitations. You will help develop a world class organization that will care about the data signals that our products send to our backend systems, tooling for performing data analysis and business intelligence, and large scale machine learning and data science systems to offer recommendations based on the work of our world class research team and deliver these insights internally to product management teams and externally to users via our products.
- Own company level OKR/KPIs and the systems that drive these metrics using them to create roadmaps, dashboards and playbooks to drive business growth.
- Partner with executive staff, Research and Development teams, Product Teams, and Engineering teams to help them measure their performance and influence product vision and roadmaps.
- Grow a team of Data Scientists, Business Intelligence Professionals, and Data Analysts rapidly over the next 12 months and perform long term planning, working closely with our recruiting.
- Offer guidance ,coaching, mentorship, and leadership for your team focusing on the highest impacting products, projects, and services for the company.
- Use state-of-the-art cloud technologies to create scalable machine learning and artificial intelligence systems to deliver value to our customers.
- Create and update plans to execute on your vision, focusing on setting up frameworks for success and driving structure and rigor to how we treat data inside our systems.
- Lead by example by making meaningful contributions to key business decisions, validating assumptions and assessing the logic behind our assumptions.
- 5+ Years of Leadership Experience. You have the drive and desire to build a world-class team and innovate at the forefront of technology. You work well with leadership and have deep empathy for our customers and your staff.
- Experience with building out world class analytics and data science platforms. You are always curious about the latest technological innovations in the Data Science & Analytics world and continuously look for ways to drive business insights and products based on that data.
- Solid understanding of analytics needed in game development. Our core product, Aim Lab, is a free-to-play training platform currently on Steam and you understand deeply the metrics needed to grow these types of systems. You have years of domain experience here.
- Track record of being the vision holder of large scale analysis systems. You can evaluate systems quickly and come up with compelling visions of a large future that can touch millions of lives. You can inspire cross collaborative teams to implement grand visions based on your experience and insights.
- You believe in proving your intuitions with data and work well with world class scientists to take research and turn it into products and help product teams A/B test their theories to achieve business objectives.
The location of this role is US-Remote
We believe in hiring the best, the brightest, and cultivating a culture of collaboration and appreciation. You will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, creed, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, marital status, citizen status, age, disability, military or protected veteran status, genetic predisposition or carrier status or any other legally protected status.