Confidential Investigator Data Analyst
Special Commissioner of Investigation for the NYC School District
The Office of the Special Commissioner of Investigation for the New York City School District (“SCI”) has broad authority to investigate wrongdoing by employees, contractors, and vendors doing business with the New York City Department of Education (“DOE”) - the nation’s largest school district. SCI performs highly confidential and sensitive investigations and studies concerning corruption, misconduct, or other illegal, unethical or improper activities both, within and outside of the DOE, and seeks to develop and implement plans and programs to control and prevent such illegal or improper practices. The office also serves as the Inspector General for the Teachers' Retirement System of the City of New York and the New York City Board of Education Retirement System.
SCI is seeking a self-motivated candidate to serve as an Investigative Data Analyst. The successful applicant will provide overall data support, collection of quality data from multiple sources, and data analysis. The role is to support and collaborate with investigators and administrators to assist with completion of investigations into fraud, corruption and misconduct and improve efficiencies. The successful candidate is expected to: conduct research to develop and enhance practices for identifying and analyzing patterns, trends, profiles, anomalies, estimates, studies and tactical information to detect fraudulent activity. Ability to research and develop investigative leads, create reports, and present findings in a cogent detail oriented manner and provide visualization of data to investigators, administrators, prosecutors and other decision-makers.
THOSE HIRED BY SCI ARE DOE SALARIED EMPLOYEES AND NYC RESIDENCY IS NOT REQUIRED.
*As of August 2, 2021, all new hires must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability. If you are offered city employment, this requirement must be met by your date of hire, unless a reasonable accommodation for exemption is received and approved by the hiring agency.
- A four-year high school diploma or its educational equivalent and four years of satisfactory full-time experience in a private sector or governmental agency in the field of investigation, auditing, law enforcement, security, inspections, or in a major operational area of the agency in which the appointment is to be made, or
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college; or
- Education and/or experience equivalent to “1” or “2” above.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, Statistics, Information Systems, or Data Analytics.
- Ability to use fraud detection software to analyze data and other material; proficiency in Microsoft Office, advanced Excel skills, including V-lookup, pivot tables, macros, filtering and sorting, complex nesting formulas, and various other computer programs.
- Familiarity with data acquisition tools and techniques for SQL/NoSQL databases including ETL, is highly preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of Python or knowledge in other object-oriented programming languages such as R.
- Strong analytical skills including ability to research, analyze, and present findings in written memorandum and verbal communication.
- Ability to perform all forms of research, including but not limited to legal research, web-based, and other proprietary database research.
- Knowledge of one or more data visualization tools such as SAS.
- Database related certifications from Microsoft or Oracle.
- Ability to prioritize multiple concurrent requests and projects; having a “can-do” attitude.
- Foreign language skills is a plus.
- Ability to exercise discretion on sensitive and confidential matters with a demonstrated interest in law enforcement.
Visit our website at https://www.nycsci.org/employment/ and follow the steps in the “APPLY ONLINE” section. Please do not email, mail or fax your resume to SCI directly. Submissions of resumes does not guarantee an interview. Due to the high volume of resumes SCI receives for positions, only selected candidates will be contacted.
Appointments are subject to Office of Management & Budget approval for budgeted headcount.