Simon & Schuster
We are currently looking for a Data Scientist to join the Adams Media team and support our 360 data-driven acquisition and marketing model. This position will report to the publisher and work closely with both editorial and marketing leadership.
Adams Media, an imprint of Simon & Schuster informs, instructs, and inspires readers across a variety of lifestyle categories by providing the content they’re looking for, from the experts they follow and trust. From New Age to Personal Finance, Cooking to Self-Help, Adams Media researches, identifies, creates, and distributes accessible content with implicit discoverability. Embodying a uniquely flexible “ground-up” publishing model, Adams Media navigates within or between consumer categories as market opportunity dictates. These are the books people are searching for!
The Data Scientist is responsible for supporting data science initiatives that drive product development, business profitability and increased efficiencies. This role applies strategic analytical methodologies for working with large datasets to extract meaningful business insight and creatively solve business problems.
As a Data Scientist, you will collaborate with business partners and cross-functional teams to apply advanced analytics methods and algorithms for identifying trends and providing business solutions. In addition, this role is expected to present insights and recommendations to non-technical audiences, requiring effective communication skills, building relationships, and focus on understanding the overall business area being supported.
MAJOR TASKS, RESPONSIBILITIES AND KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES
- 55% Solution Development – Familiarize yourself with our existing line of internal tools – which includes both custom built products and third party applications – and understand their value to each department and to the company as a whole. Design and develop algorithms and models to use against large datasets to create business insights; Execute tasks with high levels of efficiency and quality; Make appropriate selection, utilization and interpretation of advanced analytical methodologies. Work with central science, engineering and product teams to implement improvements.
- 20% Business Collaboration – Incorporate business knowledge into solution approach; Effectively develop trust and collaboration with internal customers and cross-functional teams; Work with project teams and business partners to determine project goals
- 15% Technical Exploration & Development – Seek further knowledge on key developments within data science, technical skill sets, and additional data sources
- 10% Communicating Results – Effectively communicate insights and recommendations to both technical and non-technical leaders; Present recommendations in a confident manner in order to influence execution of recommendation; Prepare reports, updates and/or presentations related to progress made on a project or solution; Clearly communicate impacts of recommendations to drive alignment and appropriate implementation
- An undergraduate degree in mathematics, statistics, computer science, economics, industrial engineering, data science, or a social science with a quantitative focus. MS preferred
- Multiple years of relevant work experience in BI, Analytics, Data Science or comparable fields
- Proven experience with relational databases, data querying languages (e.g. SQL), scripting languages (e.g. Python, R), or statistical/mathematical software (e.g. R, SAS, Matlab, etc.) as well as Google Cloud Platform, including BigQuery
- Relevant working experience in transformation, optimization and analysis of massive structured and unstructured data sets
- Track record of developing and applying statistical/ML models to business problems
- Experience in working on and delivering end-to-end projects independently
- Experience processing, filtering, and working with large datasets
- Experience designing experiments, and ability to infer causal relationships
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including data visualization, especially in regards to quantitative topics discussed with non-technical colleagues
- Experience with search engine optimization topics such as information retrieval and query classification
- Experience collaborating with software development teams, data scientists, business intelligence or other technical roles
- Ability to effectively advocate technical solutions to data and engineering teams, and business audiences
- Strong organizational and multitasking skills with ability to balance competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- Curiosity and a desire to both learn about and positively impact business model
Please note that Adams Media is located in Stoughton, MA but we are open to candidates that would prefer to remain remote.