Data Reporting and Visualization Developer
Relay Graduate School of Education
Location: Flexible within the U.S.
Start Date: as soon as possible
This specific position also includes a sign-on bonus, which will be paid out after 90 days of employment with Relay.
Relay Graduate School of Education seeks a Data Reporting and Visualization Developer to ensure that our new student information system (SIS) meets our reporting needs. Reporting to the Vice Provost of Data and Research, the Data Reporting and Visualization Developer will query databases using SQL, build SSRS reports, create dashboards in Power BI, and configure/customize our instance of Anthology Student. The Data Reporting and Visualization Developer will work closely with stakeholders across Relay, and will require a blend of strong technical skills (necessary to build the various reports) and people skills (necessary to understand, refine, and prioritize user requirements). By creating the reports, visuals, and business intelligence tools that make SIS data accessible and useful, the Data Reporting and Visualization Developer will play a pivotal role in empowering teams and campuses to continuously improve. In short, this role is an outstanding opportunity to make a meaningful contribution to the work of an institution that is reshaping the landscape of urban, public education.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Query the underlying data model using SQL and SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS)
- Build custom reports using Reports Builder and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Build custom reports using Anthology Student provided tools
- Create custom data visualizations and dashboards using Microsoft Power BI
- Create and manage roles and permissions for specific reports and dashboards
- Collaborate with broader research team to design and build dashboards and reports that include data from additional IT systems
Configuration and Testing
- Test and validate all configurations, reports, and dashboards
- Learn as much as possible about Relay’s reporting needs (and their relative importance) by engaging stakeholders across the organization
- Research solutions to ad hoc and novel issues as needed
- Collect input and feedback from a diverse set of stakeholders at Relay
- Generate consensus across competing organizational priorities
- Prioritize key workflows and reporting needs
- Train users across Relay to understand and leverage all data reports and visualizations
Project Management and Communication
- Perform key project tasks with minimum supervision
- Articulate project risks, including workload and timeline concerns
- Create documentation and training materials for all reporting items
- Share reports with broader Relay community, including Relay’s leadership team
First and foremost, the Data Reporting and Visualization Developer must share the Relay community’s commitment to working together to improve student growth and achievement through phenomenal teacher preparation grounded in diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism. This includes providing teacher preparation programs that set novice teachers up to succeed in the classroom from day one; leadership programs that train new and veteran school and district leaders to best serve their school communities; and teacher-facing professional education that provides ongoing learning to educators. Additionally, for this position we’re looking for candidates that possess a combination of the following skills:
Candidates for the position should meet the following minimum qualifications:
- BA/BS degree in information technology, computer science, database management, data science, finance, business administration, statistics, economics, public policy, mathematics, the social sciences, or equivalent work experience; Master’s degree welcome
- 1-3+ years working with SQL and SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) or equivalent
- 1-3+ years building reports using Reports Builder and SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- 1-3+ years producing dynamic data visualizations and reports using complex datasets, especially using PowerBI (but alternatively Tableau, R shiny, D3.js, etc.)
- 1-3+ years experience working with Anthology Student ideal; other SIS, ERP, or CRM beneficial
- Demonstrated ability to quickly understand new technology processes and platforms
- Demonstrated ability to effectively share technical knowledge with others
- Demonstrated ability to understand, document, and serve evolving user requirements
Relay prepares teachers and school leaders to teach students of all identities and backgrounds in order to push toward a time when this country no longer faces stark educational inequities. We recruit, develop, support, and retain a diverse staff, faculty, and graduate student body because we are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and actively anti-racist institution. We know, and the data supports, that diversity, equity, and inclusion cultivate an environment in which people of all backgrounds can thrive and this is critical to achieving our mission of educational excellence and equity.
To fulfill that commitment, Relay encourages applicants of all backgrounds and identities to apply for roles that align with their own interests and career trajectory. If you meet a majority of the qualifications and see yourself in this role, we would love to see your application!
Relay’s compensation philosophy is to pay competitively for the education nonprofit market and ensure equity across the institution. Starting compensation for the role will depend on a number of factors including the new hire’s qualifications and their region’s cost of labor.
The starting salary range for this role is $75,000 to $90,000. The hired candidate can expect to be placed within this range based on their prior experience, as well as the cost of labor for the region they live in. New hires typically are not eligible for a salary at the high end of this range if they live in a region with a low or medium cost of labor. Lastly, Relay is striving towards internal pay equity throughout our organization. Because of this, we do not negotiate salary offers.
Relay offers a comprehensive total rewards package. For full-time roles, this includes health insurance benefits, disability and life insurance, retirement plan, professional development, gym reimbursement, adoption assistance, paid time off (PTO), parental leave, etc. To learn more about Relay’s benefits, please visit here.
COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
Relay requires that all staff be fully vaccinated with an FDA or WHO authorized vaccine (or approved for an exemption as a reasonable accommodation due to a medical reason or sincerely held religious belief). Relay abides by each state’s requirements, and acknowledges those may change over time. If moved forward to the phone screen stage, you will have the chance to ask your recruiter more about this requirement.
Relay Graduate School of Education provides equal employment opportunity for all applicants and employees.