Since 1979, Prosperity Now (formerly CFED) has been a persistent voice championing economic opportunity, innovating outside of and beyond existing systems to build power for all communities. We advance racial and ethnic economic justice by investing in bold new ideas, and we work deeply at both the grassroots and national level to impact the entire ecosystem. By setting goals for our economy and following through with targeted approaches based on need, we are equipped to drive forward and cement big structural solutions.
Everyone has a role to play in uplifting the solutions that will help all families, neighbors, and communities build sustainable wealth. The Data Scientist will help lead the Prosperity Now Scorecard work as well as conceptualize, develop, and execute a broad range of applied research projects concerning the financial health of low- and moderate-income households. Our successful candidate will have a strong background and successful track record in data management and quantitative analysis. This position can be a remote role or based out of our Washington, D.C. office.
Accountability: Reports to the Senior Director of Applied Research
- Plans, manages, and executes the day-to-day operations of the Prosperity Now Scorecard’s state-level and local-area data products, including data warehousing/database management, quantitative analysis including estimation of statistical models, quality control and automation, UX testing, data visualization, and report and brief writing using the Scorecard data
- Helps lead the strategic development of the Prosperity Now Scorecard work, including the development of data products based on the Scorecard
- Oversees and performs research in support of Prosperity Now’s core applied research, policy and programmatic priorities, including reviewing literature; managing large datasets; constructing data files for analysis; preparing tables, charts, and other forms of data visualization
- Develops and oversees the execution of project timelines to ensure conformity with deadlines and budgets
- Works closely with the Senior Director of Applied Research in the development of Prosperity Now’s research agenda
- Communicates research results in research reports, briefs, fact sheets, presentations, blog posts, and webinars to a broad range of audiences (technical and non-technical)
- Supports Prosperity Now’s external communications by responding to media inquiries, and drafting press releases and other public affairs materials
- Works with and supports the Senior Director of Applied Research on project development, budget management, general business development, and grant proposal and grant report writing
- Supervises one to two direct reports; along with consultants and interns, as needed
- Serves as the team representative in designated cross-team initiatives
- Advises and trains Prosperity Now staff on Scorecard-related resources
- Fulfills other responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in data science, statistics, mathematics, business, economics or other social science or other related fields. Advanced degree preferred
- At least five years’ post-graduation work experience in a similar role
- Extensive experience with data management/warehousing of large datasets (Census, SIPP, BLS); advanced statistical analysis, quality control processes, and UX testing
- Experience developing/creating data products for external stakeholders
- Experience with geographic information systems and interactive data visualization software required (e.g., ArcGIS, Tableau, R)
- Demonstrated ability to conduct original research and statistical analysis working with secondary data sources (e.g., Census, SIPP, BLS, and BEA datasets) on a topic related to Prosperity Now’s work
- Excellent computer and database management skills. Proficiency with Word, Excel, and advanced experience with a statistical package required (e.g., SAS, SPSS, R, STATA)
- Experience effectively managing projects and project staff, prioritizing work to meet organizational goals and deadlines required
- Excellent oral communication and presentation skills, in both small and large group formats
- Experience in budget and staff management preferred
- Ability to work independently as well as a member of a broader team
Work Environment: This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. This job description is subject to change at any time.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate and exchange information. The employee frequently is required to remain in a stationary position and constantly operate a computer and other office productivity machinery.
Salary Range: $100,000 – $110,000
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prosperity Now is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We believe that
diversity of background and perspective are strengths, and seek to continue to grow a diverse, highly committed, skilled, and collaborative staff. We encourage
candidates from various backgrounds to apply.