Deputy Director in the Research and Analytics Department
Office of the New York State Attorney General
Research and Analytics Department– New York City
Reference No. RAD_NYC_DD_6264
Application Deadline May 12, 2023
The Research and Analytics Department (RAD) in the Office of the New York State Attorney General (OAG) seeks candidates for a full-time Deputy Director position. The RAD is part of the Executive Division and works closely with senior staff and divisions throughout the OAG to support the OAG's major initiatives, investigations and policy development. This position reports to the Director of Research and Analytics and is located in New York City.
The Deputy Director will help lead a department of data scientists, analysts and technologists who provide comprehensive data and research analysis to support work across the OAG’s jurisdiction, working with all divisions and bureaus. The Deputy oversees the work of the department, including staff management; meeting the programmatic needs of the OAG; collaboration with intra-office and inter-agency teams to develop novel investigative avenues; and investment in department capacity through skill building, team development, quality control and infrastructure improvements.
The Research and Analytics Department supports many of the office’s major investigations and has contributed to litigation for several complex multi-district cases, created and directed multi-million-dollar grant programs and settlement distributions and researched and written analytical reports garnering national attention.
Employing over 1,800 people across New York State, the OAG is both the “People's Lawyer” and the State's chief legal officer. The OAG serves all New Yorkers in numerous legal and regulatory arenas, including vigorously protecting the rights of consumers, workers and tenants and homeowners in the state, promoting economic and social justice, encouraging harm reducing public health strategies, coordinating state-wide criminal investigations and preserving the State’s environment. The OAG also advises the Executive branch of State government and defends actions and proceedings on behalf of the State.
Responsibilities of the Deputy Director will include the following:
- Assist in the leadership of the RAD through agenda setting, quality control, budgeting and process improvement;
- Provide significant day-to-day supervision of department staff and work product;
- Recruit, hire and train staff by identifying department needs, facilitating staff development goals, promoting diversity and inclusion and creating a collaborative team environment;
- Project manage complex cases and matters including developing analyses for complex or sensitive matters, reviewing analytic products of department staff and providing quantitative data expertise to the department;
- Proactively identify new areas for investigation or analysis and discover new research techniques and sources of information;
- Coordinate the development of OAG-issued reports;
- Build relationships on behalf of the RAD with case teams, bureaus and senior staff in the OAG as well as inter-agency partners, regulators, academics and advocates where needed; and
- Performing other duties as required.
Qualifications for the Deputy Director position are as follows:
- A bachelor’s degree is required, and an advanced degree is preferred;
- At least six (6) years of relevant experience in data science, data analysis, research or related fields demonstrating increasing complexity and levels of responsibility;
- At least two (2) years of management or supervisory experience;
- Demonstrated investigative, qualitative and quantitative research abilities;
- Excellent presentation and oral and written communication skills that includes communicating technical concepts and results accessibly to a non-technical audience;
- Experience working in python, SQL and/or R;
- Organized, proactive and entrepreneurial, must be comfortable working in a dynamic environment that requires managing several projects simultaneously with competing deadlines;
- Personable, collaborative with a high level of integrity and discretion; and
- A commitment to public policy and social/economic justice and the diversity and inclusion goals of the OAG.
Candidates with additional experience in any of the following are preferred:
- Git, linux command line, docker;
- Large-scale data management infrastructure and pipelines (e.g. AWS Redshift, spark, complex ETL procedures);
- Open Source Intelligence research and analysis; and/or
- Subject matter expertise in economic and social justice areas including but not limited to consumer finance, housing, labor, civil rights, policing or healthcare.
The salary range for this position is $125,269 - $135,000 + $3,026 in location pay. The final salary will be determined after a complete evaluation of the selected candidate’s qualifications. As an employee of the OAG, you will join a team of dedicated individuals who work to serve the people of our State through a wide variety of occupations. We offer a comprehensive New York State benefits package, including paid leave, health, dental, vision and retirement benefits, and family-friendly policies. Additionally, the OAG offers a robust Workplace Flexibilities Program with multiple options for employees, including telecommuting (up to two days per week) and alternative work schedules.
Per Office of the Attorney General policy, confirmation of vaccination status is a condition of employment for this position. If you are not fully vaccinated, you may be required to provide regular negative COVID-19 PCR test results at a frequency determined by the agency. The agency will consider religious and reasonable accommodations. For more information, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications must be submitted online.
To ensure consideration, applications must be received by close of business on May 12, 2023.
Applicants must be prepared to submit a complete application consisting of the following:
- You may address to Legal Recruitment.
- Indicate why you are interested in this position and what makes you a strong candidate.
- A sample research synthesis or data analysis is preferred.
- Your sample should demonstrate your ability to analyze and organize information into an effective document that is well-organized and error-free.
- If needed, please provide a cover page to provide the reviewer with any relevant context or background information.
List of three (3) references
- Only submit professional references, supervisory references are preferred.
- Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
- Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
- Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the position.
If you have questions regarding a position with the OAG and the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com or phone at 212-416-8080.
For more information about the OAG, please visit our website: www.ag.ny.gov