Senior Database Engineer - NoSQL
Nokia has an opportunity for a Senior DBA (Oracle Or SQL) that will add value to our team in Alpharetta, GA. We are seeking a Rock Star that is passionate about Database engineering and interested in working with cutting edge technology in a global (20,000+ server) environment.
This role is responsible for designing, deploying, and maintaining Oracle and NoSQL based infrastructures in support of high volume, complex data transactions for specific services or groups of services. The position will report to the Head of Operations and will primarily work with R&D, Architects, System Engineers, and Project Managers in a virtual team and focus on designing, building and deploying high availability, robust, resilient and supportable database solutions to support large volumes of data transactions. With a focus on the infrastructure and operational elements of designing and deploying a database solution, the Senior DBA must ensure the databases are highly available, have sufficient capacity in place and are fully resilient across multiple data centers and cloud architectures.
This role works as part of an operations team to design, deploy and support 24x7x365 operations with Day to Day responsibilities that include;
- Manage Oracle w/RAC and NoSQL databases in Development/QA/Production environments including installation, configuration, backup, recovery, replication, upgrades, schema changes, etc.
- Perform database health monitoring and diagnostics.
- Integrate monitoring, auditing, and alert systems for databases with existing monitoring infrastructure.
- Design, implement, maintain and automate the appropriate backup and recovery architecture as required.
- Occasional off-shift availability to resolve Production issues or assist in Production deployments. On-call duties will be shared within the operations team.
- Work closely with other members of the operations team, mentor others in your areas of expertise, and be an active contributing member of the company as a whole
- Responsible for system performance and reliability.
- Responsible for databases dealing with overall operating system.
- Responsible for developing backup and recovery procedures for database environments.
- Maintains up-to-date knowledge of database administration and applies these developments to other major projects and initiatives
- Meticulous attention to detail with an appreciation for the relationship between database/system reliability and company success.
- Ensure proactive engagement in Incident Management process, working with Operational teams to minimize the impact of database outages.
- Work with Service Support teams to drive knowledge in to the Operations Center to improve 'First Contact' resolution and reduce Mean Time To Resolve (MTTR) for database incidents
- Builds positive working relationships across departments and with own team members.
- Presents or makes recommendations on best practices regarding data management, data architecture, and data design.
- Bachelor’s degree (Computer Science preferred)
- 5+ years experience as DBA
- 2+ years of production DBA experience with SQL with NOSQL experience AND Oracle 9i/10g/11g (OCP) --Both preferred but NoSQL must have
- Experience working in production environments requiring 99.99% availability
- Previous experience deploying, administrating, tuning, monitoring, and maintaining database technologies including but not limited to;
- Familiarity with using enterprise ticketing systems and resolution
- Previous success with at least one deployment tool (CVS, Subversion, Clearcase and Puppet )
- Strong technical background in three or more of the following technologies (must include database administration): Operating Systems: Red Hat Linux, CentOS
- Solid experience in database tuning, design, security, backup, recovery, and archival concepts and procedures.
- Understand the interaction between the database and the SAN. Knowledge of SAN specific database tuning techniques. Experience with hot backups through SAN snapshot technology
- Experience with monitoring systems (Nagios Professional, Cacti, etc…)
- Experience deploying and managing Oracle RAC and MongoDB on Redhat Linux Exposure to Cloud or virtual Application environments
- Familiarity with ETL processes and operations
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate with technical, non-technical employees and vendors.
- Strong problem solving, testing, and network troubleshooting skills.
Additional skills preferred
- Scripting/Programming experience in PERL is highly desirable
- Previous experience in other database technologies, such as MSSQL, MySQL, Sybase, and Postgres, is a major plus.
- Application Servers and Open Source Components: Linux, JBoss. Apache Lucene, PHP, Data-Grid Technologies
- Storage Engineering: Network storage (NAS, SAN & Virtualized), Luster
- Database Admin : Oracle w/RAC, MySQL, MSSQL (Other RDBMs technologies)
- Security : Encryption; Network security; Network topology; Cellular Network Connectivity
- Protocols: HTTP, SSL/TLS, RTP&RTSP, TCP, UDP, IP inc. v6, DNS, Samba, CIFS, SOAP and REST; Peer-to-Peer Networking, Edge Computing