Data Engineering & Architecture Principal
NC Electric Cooperatives
The Data Engineering & Architecture Principal will be responsible for leading, migrating, and optimizing our data and data pipeline architecture, as well as optimizing data flow and collection to meet the needs of the organization. This position will also be accountable for making recommendations to strengthen system controls, increasing efficiency using automated processes, and documenting technical requirements and specifications. This role will also be responsible for making system and application recommendations based upon industry best practices, technical viability, and operational standards. As a senior member of staff, this individual will be expected to mentor junior staff and provide guidance in solution design.
Academic and Trade Qualifications:
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, Computer Engineering, Math, or related technical degree from an accredited institution, and/or equivalent experience.
- Ten plus years of demonstrated work experience with a minimum of seven years of experience in Data Engineering / Architecture or related role
- Five plus years of experience with data warehouse technical architectures, ETL/ELT, and reporting/analytic tools.
- Programming skills in SQL and Python
- Leveraging Cloud services and developing scalable solutions
- Identify, retrieve, manipulate, relate, and exploit multiple structured data and unstructured data sets from various sources, including building or generating new data sets as appropriate
- Design, document, build, test and deploy data pipelines that relate a variety of datasets from disparate sources and integrate them into a unified view.
- Design, implement and maintain a secure cloud-based data platform for internal and external stakeholders
- Make recommendations to improve operational efficiency with activities such as reducing the number of manual processes and validating data quality
- Partner with internal customers, architects, developers, and other technical partners to gather requirements, understand existing systems, and develop products to maximize secure and compliant application observability
- Collaborate with product management and technology leaders to analyze stakeholder needs and steer the direction for data architecture across the organization
- Proactively review, streamline, and suggest improvements to our current processes and documentation
- Define and document standards for transforming data and executing pathways/flows from a variety of complex sources
- Take a leading role in defining the processes, standards, and roadmap for data warehousing, analytical reporting, operational reporting, ETL/ELT processes, data governance, and master data management, while mentoring junior staff
- Understanding of cloud-driven data solutions, Azure highly preferred
- Expert-level understanding of data modeling and database design
- Experience with SQL, DDL and Stored Procedures in a relational SQL database, especially SQL Server
- Ability to understand business objectives and develop data solutions to meet those needs
- Subject matter expertise in the following:
- Relational/non-relational database concepts
- Data Lake concepts and architecture
- Data Warehousing platforms (Synapse, Snowflake)
- Spark / Databricks
- Data Visualization tools (Power BI, Tableau)
- Data Governance & Security
- Strong working knowledge of modern programming languages, ETL tools and understanding of cloud concepts
- Understanding of advanced principles and practices of database management systems, standard IT operating procedures and should be able to read, interpret and produce technical documentation
Abilities and Skills:
- Experience optimizing data retrieval and converting legacy processes to a modern architecture
- Experience leveraging Cloud services for scalable solutions is preferred
- Strong analytic skills related to working with structured and unstructured datasets
- Excellent listening, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Ability to lead development efforts and provide recommendations with architecture design
- Familiarity with the Agile methodology
- Ability to work and communicate effectively with business stakeholders and technical staff
Relationships and Contacts:
Report To: Director of Business Integrations and Analytics
Work with technical team members to ensure solutions are consistent with development, infrastructure, and security guidelines. Collaborate with peers across business lines identifying and documenting user needs and requirements. Keep management informed as to status of projects and activities.
Normal business hours, with limited overtime. Travel is limited and normally contained within the state.
Company Profile: North Carolina’s Electric Cooperatives is the brand for the family of organizations formed to support the state’s 26 local electric cooperatives, including: North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation, the power supplier to many of the electric cooperatives; North Carolina Association of Electric Cooperatives, the cooperatives’ trade association; and Tarheel Electric Membership Association, Inc. (TEMA), a central purchasing and materials-supply cooperative.
North Carolina Electric Membership Corporation provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all applicants for employment.