Data and Analytics Director
NARAL Pro-Choice America
About NARAL Pro-Choice America
For more than 50 years, NARAL Pro-Choice America and its chapters have fought to protect and expand reproductive freedom —including access to abortion and contraception — for every body.
We are powered by our more than 2.5 million members from every state and congressional district in the country, representing the 7 in 10 Americans who believe every person should have the freedom to make the best decision for themselves about if, when, and how to raise a family.
NARAL Pro-Choice America centers diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice in our organization and our work. Continuously learning from our history, we hold ourselves accountable to achieve reproductive freedom with equitable access for everybody.
As the oldest and largest national membership organization primarily focused on advocating for abortion access, we organize and mobilize, galvanizing millions of people to take action to defend reproductive freedom, and shining a spotlight of accountability on bad actors who work to impose their ideological agenda on others. We also work to elect champions for reproductive freedom and advance state and federal legislation to safeguard it.
About the role:
You will develop and execute a strategy for creating a data-driven culture throughout every aspect of NARAL’s programs and campaigns, aligned and in support of the overall mission and goals of the organization. It is critical that you build stakeholder relationships across the organization to drive these goals.
You have an ability to synthesize and operationalize strategic objectives to tactical outputs and a capability to define and deliver highly complex enterprise grade data management solutions according to plan with the appropriate timeline and team members.
You will bring creative thinking, humor, problem solving skills, and a never-ending desire for learning.
Location: Washington, DC
Reports to: Managing Director
Level: Director, exempt, non-union
Salary range: $90,000 - $115,000
In this role, you will:
- Collaborate with senior organizational leadership (directors and executive team members) to develop intermediate and long-term plans for testing and experimentation of tools and tactics, including fundraising, voter contact, and membership engagement.
- Directly manage a data manager, who will be primarily responsible for executing business rules and working across departments to ensure that all team-members are exercising best data practices.
- Work across departments to help individual teams to develop best practices for data collection, management, and reporting across NARAL. Conduct training with team members to advance a data-driven culture at NARAL.
- Lead data onboarding for new hires to provide an overview of NARAL’s tools and data practices to ensure adherence to best practices.
- Develop, oversee and perform ongoing management/evaluation of systems, business rules, and tools, as well as oversee the development of requisite infrastructure, that will streamline and standardize data inputs, processes, and outputs, across NARAL.
- Implement reporting tools that support various teams’ ability to gain actionable insights into ongoing programs.
- Communicate across departments to ensure data resources are being used most efficiently and effectively.
- Manage external data and analytics vendors/consultants to ensure timely delivery of contracted products/services, including with NGP VAN/EveryAction, The Movement Cooperative, and other data and analytics vendors.
- Demonstrated experience (6 - 8 years) in data and analytics with increasing levels of responsibility as well as experience collaborating on, designing, and overseeing data engineering projects.
- Ability to collaboratively define and then articulate a data and analytics strategy as well as a strong data & analytics delivery background from project scoping, road mapping + timeline development, through successful delivery of actionable insights.
- Strong familiarity and proficiency with common tools used in the progressive and political space, including NGP-VAN/EveryAction, Civis Platform, peer-to-peer tools (e.g. Hustle, ThruText), ActBlue, auto-dialer tools, digital platforms (including Facebook data platforms + google analytics), and data visualization tools (e.g. Data Studio, Periscope, etc.), and other data intake tools and platforms, as necessary.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and collaboration skills with both organizational and technical professionals.
- The ability to juggle multiple, competing priorities at once, while also communicating with stakeholders the progress and timeline for delivering on tasks and projects.
- Desire to educate, mentor, and develop junior to mid-level team members, particularly cross-departmentally.
- Strong proficiency in SQL and SQL database analytics tools like Civis Platform.
Nice-to-haves (or excited-to-learns):
Note: these are not required. It’s possible that you’re a great fit for the role and do not have either of these things - but you might be excited to learn them!
- Experience in additional programming languages like Python or R
- Demonstrated experience using data visualization platforms like Google Data Studio, Tableau, or Periscope
NARAL Pro-Choice America is an equal opportunity employer committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in our work and staff. We do not discriminate in employment opportunities or practices based on actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender or sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), age, marital status, sexual orientations, gender identity or expression, veteran status, uniform service member status, disability, or any other characteristic protected by law. Women, people of color (including bilingual and bicultural individuals), LGBTQ+ persons, and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply.