Senior Enterprise Data Manager
About Murmuration/What We Do
Murmuration is a political strategy organization that is transforming the politics of education so that every child can benefit from equal access to equitable and high-quality public schools.
We empower campaigns, advocates, and organizers to better engage and mobilize communities to demand improvements to the public education system. We advise and support our partners in their efforts to plan and execute successful, data-driven electoral, organizing, and advocacy campaigns so that together we can transform the politics of education. And we build political influence, craft strategies, leverage data, and develop technology that enable our partners to accelerate progress, particularly those in traditionally marginalized communities.
Who We Are
Our team includes experts and innovators in data, analytics, and strategy. We are former teachers, organizers, data scientists, nonprofit executives, political campaign veterans, and more - and we are looking for people whose passion and expertise can help improve our work and realize our vision.
Murmuration’s role is to support organizations and communities through our political systems, to raise the profile of the issue of public education such that more Americans will prioritize the needs of our students, and to leverage politics to help to create the broader context in which those on the front lines with our children can thrive. We are focused on transforming the politics of education—partnering with organizations across the country committed to organizing parents and communities around the issues of public education and educational equity, electing to office and holding accountable local leaders who will make improving public K-12 schools a priority, and advocating for policy changes with the goal of improving outcomes for children. To do this, we believe that it is critical that all of the political stakeholders—electoral organizations, advocacy and organizing groups, charter associations, networks of schools, districts, elected officials, and voters—contribute to a strong and politically savvy education sector that works together toward a common vision of improving public education.
About the Position
As Senior Enterprise Data Manager on the Operations team, you will be responsible for leading our mission to drive and define enterprise business solutions for Murmuration-wide use. You’ll work with business and technology leaders from Murmuration and affiliated company business units and core technology teams to define and deliver common solutions – platforms, systems, components, software, standards, and reporting – that inform our current and future business objectives. You will bring your expertise and skills into a diverse team and provide leadership in defining and delivering the architecture of shared products and platforms that, combined, serve as a single source of truth for decision makers. You will lead the direction for the most challenging cross-business Murmuration solutions, including delivering enterprise data infrastructure to capture key metric data to measure, allocate resources, and guide progress towards our mission. The Senior Enterprise Data Manager will have the day-to-day responsibility of the operational data activity for these enterprise data sets, including the reconciliation of data across systems. This position will also lead the effort of documenting the data processes and data quality rules associated with these data sets.
Note: At Murmuration, we are committed to becoming an even more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. To this end, all staff members are expected to sit on and actively participate in DEI (diversity, equity, inclusion) subcommittees. These subcommittees work to ensure that DEI is embedded in everything we do.
The ideal candidate will:
- Collaborate effectively with people across a variety of business units, technology disciplines, operational functions, and locations to identify and create a running list of prioritized enterprise data needs;
- Build a plan for cross-Murmuration enterprise data architecture work, specifically facilitating work among Operations and Engineering teams to ensure alignment to established architecture;
- Lead a distributed team towards a common solution, as well as provide leadership in working with Operations, Product, and Technology leaders across Murmuration and affiliates;
- Serve as the subject matter expert and go-to resource for defining and delivering Murmuration-wide architecture – common business solutions, standards, practices, and methods;
- Capture big picture ideas and break them down into architectures, technology designs, and/or presentations that provide reusable capabilities and patterns for end-users;
- Communicate and train internal and external stakeholders on key product and platform features and services through presentations, diagrams, and conversations that align the community on what and how we will deliver on success;
- In collaboration with the Director of Business Performance, define, propose, and implement an enterprise metrics strategy that includes maintaining the governance of key metrics, building out the supporting material for approved metrics, and mapping the data journey of metrics into a readily accessible architecture that is readily available to key stakeholders; and
- Work to create a climate in which measurement of quality and efficiency is a standard practice.
Who You Are
The ideal candidate will have:
- 5+ years of experience in defining and delivering on enterprise-grade solution architectures, strategies, and business capabilities (such as CRM, HR, Finance, Operations);
- 3+ years in successfully leveraging public cloud service providers to deliver enterprise-scale solutions that are resilient, secure, and dynamic – “growth platforms and patterns;”
- 3+ years in operational data management activities including data collection, data mapping, and data reporting for strategic data sets;
- Experience with multiple of the data management disciplines, such as Data Quality, Data Governance, Data Operations, Data Profiling, and Metadata Management;
- Experience managing enterprise systems including CRM (required) as well as HR, Finance, Operations;
- Proven success in defining and delivering shared platforms, systems, or components that are used by multiple business organizations to address a common capability need;
- Demonstrated expertise in creating platform visions (roadmaps) for diverse leaders and teams to align on key architectural and technical decisions and direction – and delivering the roadmap to end users;
- Led the creation of governance mechanisms, including charters and process mapping, to build high confidence in enterprise data reporting;
- An ability to collaborate with others to define and build solutions that find high levels of reuse and create enthusiasm within both the product and development community; and
- Proven ability to learn new business and technology domains quickly, creating value and direction in an agile and fluid work environment.
Location, Compensation and Benefits
The Senior Enterprise Data Manager is a full-time, salaried position with a comprehensive benefits package. It is based anywhere in the U.S. with location preferred in New York City. Minimum salary for this position is $100,000 but is commensurate with experience.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Murmuration is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, and national origin. We reasonably accommodate staff members and/or applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job.