Principal Data Engineer
Murmuration is a nonprofit organization focused on leveraging civic engagement to drive greater equity. We are committed to transforming public education so that every child – regardless of who they are or where they live – can benefit from the same opportunities afforded by a quality education.
We provide sophisticated tools, data, strategic guidance, and programmatic support to help our partner organizations increase civic engagement and marshal support to drive change at the community level. Our best-in-class data and easy-to-use tools have been used by hundreds of organizations to make informed decisions about who they need to reach and how to achieve and sustain impact – and to put those decisions into action.
Our team includes experts and innovators in data, analytics, and strategy. We are former teachers, organizers, data scientists, and campaign veterans, and we are looking for people whose passion and expertise can help realize our vision.
About the Role
Murmuration is looking for a Principal Data Engineer to help us scale and optimize our expanding data infrastructure. We are preparing for 10x growth both in the volume of data processed and the speed in which that data can be available and actionable. To accomplish this, we are looking for someone with extensive experience building highly scalable data solutions to join our team. A successful candidate is well-seasoned in the streaming data space, brings strong analytical ability, and can deliver results within a fast-moving, agile environment.
Note: At Murmuration, we are committed to becoming an even more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. To this end, all staff members are expected to actively participate in DEI (diversity, equity, inclusion) programming.
What You’ll Do
- Own the design and delivery of key components of a large-scale data platform
- Provide thought leadership in data infrastructure, database design, data governance, and operations
- Provide day to day technical guidance and mentoring to a tight-knit group of highly talented data engineers
- Drive engineering best practices within the team
What You Should Have
- 10+ years of experience overall, including 3+ years as a Principal, Senior, or Lead Data Engineer;
- Demonstrable architecture, design, and development skills on a few different large-scale data platform implementations;
- Strong experience building large-scale streaming and batch data pipelines (e.g. Kafka Streams, Apache Flink, Spark Streaming, Spark SQL) with a focus on performance, accuracy, reliability, and traceability;
- Strong experience in both functional and object-oriented programing (e.g. Python, Scala);
- Strong experience with data modeling and physical database design;
- Strong experience using Big Data technologies (e.g. Spark, Presto, Kafka);
- Strong experience with SQL & NoSQL databases (e.g. MySQL, MongoDB);
- Experience on the AWS data stack (e.g. Lambda, Kinesis, Glue, RDS, Athena, Redshift etc.);
- Experience with DevOps, CI/CD pipelines, and automated testing; and
- Experience mentoring and developing data engineering talent.
What You Could Have
- Experience implementing data governance tools and best practices;
- Experience implementing data security best practices (e.g. data encryption, tokenization, masking);
- Experience with Graph databases (e.g. Neo4j, Neptune);
- Experience with full-text search engines (e.g. Elasticsearch, MongoDB Atlas Search);
- Software development using Python and Scala; and/or
- Experience designing and building microservices (e.g. REST, GraphQL).
Note: If you’re passionate about engineering and civic engagement, please apply, even if you don’t check every box!
Location, Compensation, and Benefits
The Principal Data Engineer is a full-time, salaried position with a comprehensive benefits package. It is based anywhere in the U.S. The salary range for this position is $175,000 - $225,000 and is commensurate with experience.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Murmuration is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation, and national origin. We reasonably accommodate staff members and/or applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job.