Lead Research Engineer
Murmuration is a nonprofit organization focused on leveraging civic engagement to drive greater equity. We are committed to transforming public education so that every child – regardless of who they are or where they live – can benefit from the same opportunities afforded by a quality education.
We provide sophisticated tools, data, strategic guidance, and programmatic support to help our partner organizations increase civic engagement and marshal support to drive change at the community level. Our best-in-class data and easy-to-use tools have been used by hundreds of organizations to make informed decisions about who they need to reach and how to achieve and sustain impact – and to put those decisions into action.
Our team includes experts and innovators in data, analytics, and strategy. We are former teachers, organizers, data scientists, and campaign veterans, and we are looking for people whose passion and expertise can help realize our vision.
About the Role
Murmuration is seeking a highly skilled Lead Research Engineer to join our team. As the Lead Research Engineer, you will be a key driver in developing and implementing innovative data solutions that translate our research insights into impactful outcomes for our partners. In this role, you will be responsible for leading a team of engineers and working closely with data scientists and researchers to design, prototype, and rapidly iterate on systems and applications that inform our partners' strategies and actions. Your expertise will play a critical role in advancing our mission of driving greater equity through civic engagement.
Note: At Murmuration, we are committed to becoming an even more diverse, equitable, and inclusive workplace. To this end, all staff members are expected to actively participate in DEIB (diversity, equity, inclusion, belonging) programming.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead a team of software engineers that work cross functionally with data scientists and researchers to design, develop, and deploy prototype tools, data pipelines, and maintain the underlying infrastructure to support our data science and research teams
- Provide technical leadership, feedback, and mentorship to the team to promote growth and development within the organization
- Foster and build the team's technical culture, including promoting best practices, ensuring code quality, and encouraging professional development and collaboration among team members
- Collaborate with other teams across the org, including product management, design, and partnerships, to ensure the successful implementation and adoption of our data solutions
What You Should Have
- Bachelor's or advanced degree in Computer Science, Statistics, or a related field, and/or at least 7 years of experience in data engineering, data science, or a related field
- Experience leading and managing teams of engineers or data scientists
- Strong programming skills in Python, C, Java, Scala, or similar languages
- Experience with machine learning techniques and frameworks such as scikit-learn, TensorFlow, or PyTorch
- Strong understanding of data architecture, data modeling, data structures, and data visualization techniques
- Strong communication and leadership skills, with a track record of building and maintaining successful relationships with stakeholders
- Passion for learning, experimenting, and using data to drive social impact and advance equity
What You Could Have
- Familiarity with front-end frameworks such as React or Angular
- Experience managing infrastructure with code and setting up continuous integration pipelines
- Experience in a research, nonprofit, or social impact organization
- Experience working with remote or distributed teams
Location, Compensation, and Benefits
The Lead Research Engineer is a full-time, salaried position with a comprehensive benefits package. It is based anywhere in the U.S. The salary range for this position is $150,000 - $185,000 and is commensurate with experience.
An Equal-Opportunity Employer with a Commitment to Diversity
Murmuration is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and as an organization committed to diversity and the perspective of all voices, we consider applicants equally of race, gender, color, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, disability, political affiliation and national origin. We reasonably accommodate staff members and/or applicants with disabilities, provided they are otherwise able to perform the essential functions of the job.