Director of Technology
About Monitor 360
Monitor 360 is the Narrative Analytics™ and strategy company. Our A-list clients include Charles Schwab, HP, Pfizer, PG&E, Salesforce, VMWare, The White House, Harvard Business School, and the Gates Foundation. Monitor 360 is a revenue-generating start-up, backed by respected investors. We are building upon our success in providing strategic counsel to government agencies by growing our staff and bringing the Narrative Analytics™ approach to solving complex business problems to new markets. We are looking for high-energy collaborators who embody our values of clarity, generosity, exploration, and integrity.
The Director of Technology is responsible for driving the overall technology roadmap for the Narrative Analytics™ technology platform. The Director will have complete oversight of the architecture and design of the platform and will lead and drive the architect and technical leads to meet the platform’s goals of achieving scale and extensibility. The Director will work closely with the Director of Product Management, analysts, data scientists, and other stakeholders in prioritization and problem solving. This position reports to the EVP of Strategy, Product, and Technology and is based in our San Francisco office.
This role requires an understanding of various technologies and a deep understanding of NoSQL technologies, distributed computing framework, and search and information retrieval techniques to make the right tools and technology decisions and oversee the creation of modules and programs using these technologies. The individual in this role will motivate and lead the technology team to achieving our strategic goals, define and execute the team’s professional development plans, and maintain the morale of the team.
This is a highly visible and strategic role that requires both technical acumen and leadership skills to drive the execution of the platform. The Director must be comfortable presenting to, and interacting with, individuals at all levels across the organization. The Director must be creative, ask questions, and be comfortable challenging the status quo.
- Lead the technical team in understanding the requirements for the Narrative Technology Platform and propose NoSQL database(s) and other storage technologies
- Evaluate the need for distributed computing and information retrieval technologies, based on organizational needs, to create efficiencies for the Analytics team
- Work with the Director of Product Management to evaluate the scope and timelines of the narrative platform components
- Lead architecture and design discussions with the technical architect and technical leads and validate the architecture with the Product team
- Drive the platform component deliveries with various platform (pipeline and data platform) teams and ensure adherence to specifications, as defined by the Product Managers
- Lead the development efforts with offshore development teams across time zones
- Negotiate pricing and terms, and manage relationships, with technology vendors
- Along with the Director of Product Management, be responsible for the product roadmap commitments and timelines
- Ensure adherence to technology and architecture best practices
- Identify technical gaps in our current offerings by evaluating the current solution and comparing it with industry best practices
- Work with Product Managers, Directors, and other stakeholders to find creative technical solutions to business objectives
- Promote a high-performance culture by actively coaching and mentoring, providing regular feedback, and developing employees to foster their professional growth
- Help make Monitor 360 a fun place for engineers
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Engineering; a Masters degree in business or technology is a plus
- 12+ years of experience in the technology space, with 4+ years leading teams
- Deep knowledge about NoSQL databases, with a clear understanding of the tradeoffs between each database technology
- Knowledge of the distributed computing environment, with deep experience in one of the distributions (Cloudera, MapR, etc.)
- Familiarity with information retrieval (search) technologies; experience with the implementation of these technologies is a plus
- Understanding of object oriented principles and software design patterns
- Experience driving product and platform deliveries, with technical leads and engineering teams
- Previous programming experience in Java, Scala, Python, PHP, etc., will earn the respect with savvy engineers and technical leads
- Experience working with outsourced development teams to drive development deliveries
- Strong estimating, planning, and prioritization skills
- Prior experience working on Agile scrum or kanban methodology
- Strong leadership capabilities, with an emphasis on communication and collaboration skills
- Must be comfortable making presentations to the Executive Team, as well as the rest of the staff
Qualified candidates must submit a resume, in Word or PDF format, along with a compelling cover letter that describes your interest in the position and why you think you would be a good fit for the job. Applications should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. You must be eligible to work in the U.S., without employer sponsorship.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from candidates who will contribute to our diversity.
San Francisco, CA 94105