Medical Science & Computing
Medical Science & Computing, Inc. is searching for a database analyst to evaluate, maintain, and improve databases in a LIMS environment for the Integrated Research Facility at the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID) in the National Institutes of Health (NIH). This opportunity is a full-time position with MSC and it is on-site at NIH in Bethesda and Frederick, MD.
The incumbent will partner with biological laboratory personnel, IT personnel, and other supporting groups to maintain and improve databases in a LIMS environment. The role will validate new functionality and configure new applications of LIMS. The role will focus on meeting customer expectations and working with a customer service mindset.
Major Duties and Responsibilities
Work cooperatively with the current system support and software development team to:
- Review, evaluate, design, implement and improve databases in a LIMS environment.
- Analyze database and laboratory workflows and provide strategy and methods to improve the LIMS
- Identify data sources, construct data decomposition diagrams, provide data flow diagrams and document the process.
- Write codes for database access, modifications, and constructions including stored procedures.
- Support, maintain, and implement LIMS and its associated databases for data capturing and management
- Bachelor or Masters in Computer Science or related computational disciplines
- Three years of experience in a relational database field
- Clear database concepts, analytical thinking, solid knowledge in database practices and procedures.
- Skillful in DBMS environment, familiar with ODBC, DMBS built-in utilities, and fluent in SQL
- Experience with database development, optimization, and maintenance.
- Experience with programming languages: Perl/Python, C++, Shell scripts, JAVA
- Experience with text data processing: parsing, cleansing, loading for a database
- Experience with database and workflow diagram tools, practical ability to document requirements
- Able to rely on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Willing and able to learn new skills and to perform a variety of tasks
- Professional communication skills; able to work with domain experts and stakeholders
- Training in life science and biological lab work experience
- Experience with configuration and/or administration with LIMS
- Experience with Macros scripting, such as Excel macros
- Experience with creating Crystal Reports and instrument data integration procedures
This role will be trained in LabWare LIMS on the job in order to be better performing the duty required for this position