Senior Data Scientist & Analytics Developer
Management Sciences for Health (MSH)
The Senior Data Scientist & Analytics Developer will lead development and execution of PHTâ€™s approach to analyzing and managing its data. The data comes from pharmaceutical management information software focused on system-strengthening activities in low and middle income countries (LMICs). Currently, PHT software operates in more than 4,000 sites around the world. This position will lead the identification and procurement tender process for the selection of an IT vendor to develop PHTâ€™s data analytics software program, the design and construct of large databases and ensure interoperability among various software products and systems. This person will partner with PHTâ€™s software products team and technical subject matter experts to develop PHTâ€™s strategic information and data strategy and approaches to advance PHTâ€™s capability in digital health, particularly data analytics and support for evidence-based decision making at all levels of pharmaceutical systems.
The ideal candidate for this position is someone who is intellectually curious, a creative thinker and problem solver, and who has a proven track record of using statistics, machine learning, programming, and working with large, real-world datasets. As the lead analytics developer for PHT, this person will help establish PHTâ€™s investment strategy and technical approach to help PHT senior management make informed project management and new business development decisions.Â
Database Management (85%)
- Design and construct large databases and integrate new systems with existing in-house structures.
- Design and build processes for evaluating and incorporating a variety of new incoming datasets.
- Partner with subject matter experts to develop and deliver robust, natural scalable solutions across a diverse set of low and middle income country scenarios. Solutions must take into account unique aspects of working with pharmaceutical services data such as patient confidentiality and/or organizational privacy concerns.
- Provide architecture guidance and support to technical leads involved in data analytics activities.
- Contribute to data mining architectures, modeling standards, reporting and data analysis methodologies and collaborate with stakeholders to integrate data mining results with existing systems.
- Supervise software product specialist staff to develop and refine data storage frameworks that are optimized for analytical use.
- Perform ad-hoc exploratory statistics and data mining tasks on diverse datasets from small scale to big data.
- Implement approaches to harmonize unaligned datasets to support analysis and data-driven decision making.
- Process, cleanse, and verify the integrity of data used for analysis.
- Provides ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner.
Software procurement and vendor management (15%)
- Lead the identification and procurement tender process for selection of an IT vendor to develop PHTâ€™s data analytics software platform.
- Presents business rational, analysis and pricing strategy to senior executives and interfaces with senior management to reach agreement.
- Drives and manages the design, development, testing, and implementation of the software platform to facilitate the consolidation and analysis of pharmaceutical system data.
Qualifications and Experience
Required Experience and Education:
- Graduate degree (MS or PhD) in mathematics, computer science, physical science or other quantitative discipline.
- 7 years of experience in database architecture, development or related fields.
Preferred Experience and Education:
- PhD in a quantitative discipline.
- 10+ years of experience in database architecture, and 5 years of experience with SPSS, SAS, R, Stata or equivalent platforms.
Knowledge and Skills
- Hands-on coding skills in Perl, Python, or other languages to do your own data analysis.
- Superior analytical skills, inductive and deductive reasoning, with the ability to autonomously conduct evaluations & assessments.
- Excellent project and time management and execution skills, with the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines and work on multiple projects simultaneously.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work successfully with teams across the organization.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills, including visual depiction of insights and ideas.
- Experience working with LMICs with demonstrated understanding of data collection and analysis challenges and trends related to global health, particularly pharmaceutical information systems and health technologies is highly desirable.Â
- Analytical, functional/technical skills, team player, interpersonal skills, drive for results, data driven problem solving, data visualization and communication.
Physical Demands Â
- Travel up to 15%, must be able to travel internationally.
Management Sciences for Health (MSH), a global health nonprofit organization, uses proven approaches developed over 40 years to help leaders, health managers, and communities in developing nations build stronger health systems for greater health impact. We work to save lives by closing the gap between knowledge and action in public health. Since its founding in 1971, MSH has worked in over 150 countries with policy makers, health professionals, and health care consumers to improve the quality, availability and affordability of health services. Working with governments, donors, non governmental organizations, the private sector, and health agencies, MSH responds to priority health problems such as HIV & AIDS; tuberculosis; malaria; maternal, newborn and child health; family planning and reproductive health; and chronic non-communicable diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and lung and heart disease. Through strengthening capacity, investing in health systems innovation, building the evidence base, and advocating for sound public health policy, MSH is committed to making a lasting difference in global health.
Management Sciences for Health is an equal opportunity employer offering employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, citizenship, physical or mental disability, or veteran status.