Data Engineering Manager
This role offers a hybrid work schedule; offering the flexibility to work remotely two days a week, while providing the opportunity for in-person collaboration.
This position is available in Buffalo, NY or Wilmington, DE
About the Team
Our team is on a mission of unleashing the power of data to support decision making. Our team builds enduring data products, provides platforms to access & derive insights from data, enables confidence in decision making with appropriate data governance, delivers actionable insights through use of data science and activates value for the business by innovatively solving problems with data. We love translating data, insights, and anecdotes into action, we operate with a sense of urgency, have a startup mentality, build data analytic products at scale, and innovate solutions on behalf of our customers. We work hard but value the need for downtime to unplug and recharge. We embrace our differences and view them as a key driver of innovation. We are Data@M&T
Leads the activities of one or more scrum teams. Assists with the budget of cost center(s) spanning concurrent development streams. Assists with long and short-term strategic direction for the functional team for multiple applications and/or cost centers. Serves as primary contact to the Technology leadership team and business partners. Assists in the development and career planning for all team members. The team will be executing in Scrum/Kanban fashion, and this role will be responsible for the assistance in prioritization for the team; be a partner to the Commercial domain tech team as to the work coming in for data; participate in the data work; be a representative of the work when it needs to be discussed at an architecture level; understand when the stories require the central asset work, and would place on the central backlog.
· Participating in our engineering culture, with an emphasis on contributing ideas, thoughts, and constructive feedback regarding the work of others on our team.
· Assisting with interviewing, onboarding, and training engineers as they join the team.
· Assisting leading a team of developers and engineers on their agile transformation journey including: performance management, Career planning, Technical implementation guidance on the stack that they develop on, Technical guidance around build/release automation & devops, Participate in code reviews
· Create high complexity detailed technical design specifications, develops detailed analysis, design, construction and testing specifications ensuring technical compatibility and integration
· Recommend, design and code efficient and effective solutions for challenging problems for medium to large work efforts of medium to high complexity
· Comply with ELT/ETL standards and guidelines related to the design, construction, testing, and deployment activities within the Delivery Management environments
· Act as a lead developer responsible for the planning, completion and coordination of work activity for projects involving more than one developer
· Perform the role of Application Owner including tasks like
o Disaster recovery planning
o Vulnerability management
o Audit / compliance management
Functional (Domain) Leadership
· Perform complex data analysis, and summarize to senior leaders in simple language
· Document functional specifications, and use a combination of technical and domain knowledge to propose solutions and product features
· Participate/Contribute in requirements and analysis discussion with stakeholders
· Streamline the scrum process, and play the role of scrum master (if/as needed)
· Constantly look for opportunities to make the workflows and processes efficient – across business processes, software development processes, etc
Minimum Qualifications Required:
· Minimum of an Associate degree and with 9 years’ technology or systems management/leadership experience, or in lieu of a degree, a combined minimum of 11 years’ higher education and/or work experience, including a minimum of 9 years’ technology or systems management/leadership experience
· Computer science, development and/or systems engineering background required
Required Technology skills
· In-Depth Knowledge of SQL and Other Database Solutions – preferable in Teradata and Oracle
· Experience in big-data technologies, such as: Hive, Impala, Kudu
· Informatica (or equivalent) tools: PowerCenter, MDM, Big Data Manager, Data Quality
· Experience working with multiple file structures – Mainframe, Flat files, Json, XML’s
· Experience in Unix/Linux operating systems, with scripting expertise
· Programming skillsets in at least one of these languages: Java, Scala, Python
· Batch processing like Sqoop, Spark
· CA atomic or equivalent job scheduling tool experience
Preferred Technology skills
· Realtime processing like Spark streaming, Kafka
· Cloud computing (Azure, AWS)
· NOSQL Databases such as Mongo, Cassandra, HBase
· Cache software such as Gemfire, Ignite, Redis
· Reporting/Dashboard tools such as PowerBI, Tableau, Qlik
Preferred Other skills:
· Agile (such as JIRA), Source code repository (Git, Bitbucket, etc.) CI/CD tools (Jenkins, Teamcity, etc.),
· Data Modeling
· Data Quality management, and data governance
Preferred Functional skills
· Financial regulatory reporting (CCAR, CECL, Liquidity, etc.)
· Knowledge of Banking products lifecycle: Checking, Mortgages, Loans, Treasury, Cash Management, etc.
At M&T Tech, we’re a team of makers, doers, and builders, working to create the most advanced technology solutions in banking. We’re not your stereotypical suit and tie bankers: We’re an innovative team of leading tech experts, pushing boundaries, and taking risks. We’re building an agile team of the most skilled and creative, workers to solve complex problems, architecting solutions, writing high-performance software, and charting our new path, all to make the lives of our customers, and the communities that we serve, better. Join us and be part of something new as we build tomorrow’s bank, today.
M&T Bank is a Top 20 US bank holding company and one of the best performing and financial stable regional banks in the country, we offer our technology employees a wide range of performance-based career development opportunities. We have a strong commitment to our customers and the communities we serve, and we continue to grow with a focus on the future. So, when looking to advance your career, look to M&T. Grow with us.
We support our team members with generous benefits.
· Competitive compensation
· Health, welfare, and retirement benefits
· 401(k) match at 5%
· Work-life balance and flexible work arrangements
· Start with 25 days PTO plus 12 paid holidays