Computational Science Postdoctoral Fellow (Energy Storage & Distributed Resources)
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
Computational Science Postdoctoral Fellow (Energy Storage & Distributed Resources) - 82920
Organization: ED-Energy Storage & Distributed Resources
Berkeley Lab is Bringing Science Solutions to the World, and YOU can be a part of it!
In the world of science, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (LBNL) is synonymous with "excellence." That's why we hire the best - whether in research, science or operations. This is a great opportunity to bring your top-notch skills to bear in support of world-class scientific research that addresses national and global challenges!
Berkeley Lab’s Energy Storage & Distributed Resources Division (http://eetd.lbl.gov/about-us/organization/energy-storage-and-distributed-resources) has an opening for a Computational Science Postdoctoral Fellow. Working independently or with limited supervision in the Hacking Materials Group (https://hackingmaterials.lbl.gov/), the Postdoctoral Fellow will build and deploy large databases and data mining to better understand mechanisms of solar photovoltaic module failure. You will build a data management system for materials science data collected by external collaborators for theoretical simulation data, external data from instrumentation, and solar module reliability data. The postdoctoral Fellow will build web-based toolkits for downloading, analyzing, and interactively exploring the data.
What You Will Do:
- Develop and maintain databases of materials data.
- Develop and maintain online dashboards for interactively exploring materials data.
- Develop and apply data mining and statistical learning methods to multiple data types to extract trends.
- Write and contribute to a large software framework.
- Will be expected to communicate results in presentations and/or publications.
What Is Required:
- Ph.D. in related field (Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Materials Science, Physics, or Chemistry)
- Extremely high aptitude and desire for programming and building software infrastructure; object-oriented programming, databases (MongoDB preferred), software engineering practice (version control, unit testing, continuous integration). Preferred language of experience is Python.
- Prior ability or desire to learn data mining and data analysis.
- Excellent communication skills that facilitate interdisciplinary work across multiple institutions.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Web development experience (HTML/CSS/JQuery, frameworks e.g. Flask).
- Prior work in the field of solar photovoltaics is a plus.
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by close of business on October 7, 2016.
- Berkeley Lab understands the postdoctoral experience in a research environment is unique. We are committed to the growth and development of early career researchers in pursuit of becoming next generation scientists and engineers. Read about the excellent postdoctoral benefits at Berkeley Lab (http://www.garnett-powers.com/postdoc/lbl/).
- This is a 1 year postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of renewal based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs. You must have less than 4 years paid postdoctoral experience.
- Salary will be predetermined based on student/postdoctoral step rates.
- This position requires completion of a background check.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://22.214.171.124/counter.php?id=80269 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Berkeley Lab addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: "Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law".