Sr. Data Consultant/Programmer
Business Title: Sr. Data Consultant/Programmer
Reports to: Director, Data Analytics
Location: Boston, MA or Toronto, Ontario
Job ID: 1510851
The Manulife Audit Services department is building a new Data Analytics group. The role of this group is to support the global audit teams by collaborating with them to provide meaningful data and successfully employ the use of data analytics in audit activities. These activities cover the different product lines and functions within the company globally. This includes Insurance, Wealth, Investment, and Banking products as well as actuarial and information technology functions.
The position of Sr. Data Consultant is a key team member in contributing to the development and execution of the Data Analytics group strategy. The successful candidate will bring their innovation, a mindset for critical thinking, curiosity and functional expertise, leveraged through data management and advanced analytics to drive the success of this initiative.
This position reports to the Director, Data Analytics, Audit Services.
This is an opportunity to join a new initiative of the company and would fit someone who enjoys working in an undefined setting that needs to be built from scratch
- Lead the analytical project planning with audit teams to establish scope and deliverables, particularly for research and data collection tasks
- Collaborate with IT and Business Unit application users to understand the data structure, availability and accessibility
- Extract, transform and load relevant data and data files from various applications and databases
- Evaluate the appropriateness of data sources for quality and accuracy
- Perform or consult audit teams on data validation, consolidation and cleansing processes
- Perform complex data analytics to evaluate controls and business objectives Analytics should be designed to identify outliers, anomalies, patterns, or other compliance indicators that may be hidden in the data
- Develop data delivery processes for both structured and unstructured data types utilizing various internal and external data sources; interface with data experts & data sourcing resources
- Develop detailed business and system knowledge within supported areas. Document business, system, and data knowledge to help build a robust knowledge-base for future efforts
- Train and support audit teams in the analysis of captured data as well as technical training to auditors across all levels
- Automate processes to increase turnaround time on data availability and increase efficiencies in the audit process
- Build & maintain effective working relationships with business and IT teams across the organization
- Bachelor's Degree in a technical (statistics, math, etc.) or business discipline or equivalent technical expertise
- 5+ years business experience including data analytics/data management/programming experience.
- Significant experience with data gathering, storing, and retrieval methods
- Competency in data analysis
- Expertise in programming languages and databases: SQL server, Python, VBA, Advanced Excel, Access
- Experience with web scrapping, and statistical tools R or SAS Experience with statistical techniques (e.g., regression analysis, cluster analysis, and decision trees)
- Experience with visualization tools such as Tableau or Qlikview and writing procedural logic such as script development
- Experience with other BI and ETL tools an advantage
- Insurance or Financial Services industry experience preferred
- Strong technical knowledge of data and data concepts
- Detailed oriented with a problem solving mind set
- Displays strong relationship building mindset and skills
- Employ analytical, conceptual, and creative thinking skills to problem solve and get results
- Able to prioritize, meet deadlines, and be results orientated
- Demonstrated ability to communicate complexity with clarity to diverse technical and non-technical stakeholders at multiple levels of the organization
- Turn statistical and computational analysis into user-friendly graphs, charts, and animation. Ability to communicate results and educate others through reports and presentations
- Strong commitment to organizational success, share resources and leverages knowledge across the organization
- Adaptable and open to change
About John Hancock Financial and Manulife
John Hancock Financial is a division of Manulife, a leading Canada-based financial services group with principal operations in Asia, Canada and the United States. Operating as Manulife in Canada and Asia, and primarily as John Hancock in the United States, our group of companies offers clients a diverse range of financial protection products and wealth management services through its extensive network of employees, agents and distribution partners. Assets under management by Manulife and its subsidiaries were C$821 billion (US$648 billion) as at March 31, 2015. Manulife Financial Corporation trades as 'MFC' on the TSX, NYSE and PSE, and under '945' on the SEHK. Manulife can be found on the Internet at manulife.com.
The John Hancock unit, through its insurance companies, comprises one of the largest life insurers in the United States. John Hancock offers and administers a broad range of financial products, including life insurance, annuities, investments, 401(k) plans, long-term care insurance, college savings, and other forms of business insurance. Additional information about John Hancock may be found at johnhancock.com
Agency submissions and contacts are by invitation only and must be initiated by John Hancock's Recruiting Department only. Unsolicited agency submissions will not be honored.
JOHN HANCOCK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER - AA/F/M/D/V
Boston , MA 02117