Developer Evangelist - Big Data
The Big Data Platform group within HP Software is a global leader in on-premise and cloud-based enterprise-class analytics solutions. Our innovative solutions help organizations analyze and draw actionable insight from 100% of their data regardless of format, location or type. This includes diverse forms such as text, social media, audio, machine data and even streaming video.
We are seeking an individual who can thrive in HP Big Data’s high-energy, fast-paced, and dynamic organization. As a Developer Evangelist within HP Software’s $5B division, this person will play a key role in driving awareness, engagement, and platform use of the innovative HP Haven OnDemand, the platform portfolio of cloud and API-based Big Data solutions that deliver bleeding edge analytics – from text search to face detection – on any device all delivered via the cloud.
The Developer Evangelist
You are inspired by the world of machine learning, artificial intelligence, deep neural networks, algorithms, analytics, data mining, data visualization, and the Internet of Things. You hack robots, wearables, and Virtual Reality solutions just because you can and you want to have some fun. If something bugs you enough, you pick up your laptop and crank out some code to solve the problem.
The world of startups, incubators, and hackathons excites you. You enjoy mixing with other technologists and creators, and find inspiration in creating innovative technology solutions. You find passion being a mentor, and love the challenge of helping other developers succeed.
You prefer your corporate attire to be jeans and a t-shirt, but you clean up well when you need to. You want to travel and make a difference in your community and in the tech world, have a bold vision and be a thought leader. You love to share your skills and ideas with the world, and have an audience on Social Media. This is your stage.
You are as comfortable jumping into a project writing client side mobile apps, as you are with traditional server to database, file system I/O, messaging and web application development, and you barely break a sweat as you’re talking an audience through your code as you show how to build your solutions. In other words, you don’t believe in limitations and you’re confident in your abilities.
What is HP Haven?
We believe that Big Data changes everything and that developers need a platform that can analyze 100% of their Human-, Machine-, and Business-data. Whether they are building on-premise, cloud, hybrid-, or mobile-apps, they need the flexibility to build the right-sized solution, with the right amount of horse-power, and using as little or as much of the platforms and technologies that they choose.
HP Haven is the leading Big Data and analytics platform, powered by HP Vertica for advanced analytics and massively parallel processing of structured data, HP IDOL with over 500 functions for analyzing and creating structure from all forms of human information, and HP Distributed-R to build and evaluate predictive models on large data sets. Taking the power to the cloud with HP Haven OnDemand, developers have 50+ REST APIs to search, predict, and analyze with 100% of their data.
Are you versatile?
As a Developer Evangelist, you will be helping to inspire and mentor developers to build their data-rich applications with HP Haven OnDemand. As our ambassador and advocate for developers, you translate market insights, challenges, and opportunities into new platform and solution requirements that the R&D and product teams can act upon. You get to influence the roadmap, and see your work affecting the platform success directly, through adoption, usage, and technology advancements. You will have a very high profile role within HP and will interface with the brightest developers, most innovative product teams and a great marketing organization. There will never be a dull moment, and the energy that is generated through all that you do will be contagious to others.
As an ambassador for HP Haven OnDemand, you are expected to actively identify, engage and nurture your developer communities, have the coding skills required to build cool demos in a variety of programming languages, SDKs and platforms, and possess the support and mentoring skills to help other developers with problem solving. You drive developer awareness, adoption, and usage of our APIs and platform. You will write technical documentation like blog posts, API docs, and code tutorials, using a variety of media and channels to reach your audience.
- Finding innovative ways to demonstrate Haven OnDemand’s value proposition and leadership to developers through startup weekends, meetups, user groups, online challenges, and hackathons
- Connecting with developers to ensure that they are getting the most from our platform, listening to their concerns and helping to tell their stories across Social Media channels
- Producing sample applications, example code, developer documentation, and libraries
- Building mash-ups using competitive and complementary technology to stay current with the tech world
- Creating tutorials and video screencasts to walk through code and make understanding difficult concepts easy for developers of all ages and skill levels
- Social media engagement including email and forum support, writing blog posts, and interacting on Twitter
- Training and mentoring other developers to help them be successful with Haven OnDemand
- Supporting the planning and hosting of developer events incl. webinars, meet-ups, brown-bags, online hangouts, hackathons, online challenges, developer conferences etc.
- Networking at business, technology, and developer events
- Travel up to 50%, mostly US based, with occasional international travel
Required Education, Knowledge and Skills
- Typically 6+ years’ experience as a Programmer
- Ideally 1+ year as a full time Developer Evangelist and able to provide evidence of being a respected contributor to the developer community
- Able to provide a portfolio of examples to showcase talent and experience as an evangelist
- Demonstrated self-starter, with diplomacy and teamwork skills
- Able to introduce, evangelize, and implement new ideas in a fast-paced change-driven environment
- Articulate presenter, passionate about technology, and comfortable coding in front of an audience
- Technical degree in Computer Science, Physics, Bio-Chemistry, Math, Data Science, or related degree preferred
- Prior experience working in a technology Start-Up desired
- Pre-sales, technical and/or solution experience in vertical industry is a plus
- Being able to demonstrate at least 1 personally developed cloud-, mobile-, or IOT-app is a must
- Work in a culturally diverse environment, able to support developers from around the world
- Fluency in a second language is desired