Senior Teradata Platform Engineer
About the General Motors Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) team:
GM has recently announced numerous steps to strengthen its position as a global automotive Leader. GM is constructing an Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) as one of the cornerstones to achieve this objective. As a member of the EDW team you will play a significant role in helping GM implement one of the largest data warehouses in the world. GM is seeking dynamic individuals who will leverage their industry and technical knowledge and experiences to design, architect, deploy, and manage this data warehouse.
About the role:
This position will be part of the Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) Infrastructure and Architecture team, leading the selection, design and implementation of Hadoop and related technologies with the General Motors' enterprise data warehouse ecosystem. You have the unique opportunity to define and build a world-class EDW for the first time in General Motors’ history.
The opportunity at GM is on the cutting edge of two frontiers. First, we are part of an IT transformation of a scale never seen before. Reversing the decades-old IT outsourcing trend at one of the world’s biggest companies is truly a ground-floor opportunity.
Second, we are building not only one of the world’s biggest and foremost data warehouses, we are doing so with the latest technologies. Our team is charged with defining and building leading-edge infrastructure on Teradata, industry-leading ETL and BI tools, as well as emerging open source technologies such as Hadoop. Combining Teradata and traditional BI with state-of-the-art open source and other leading-edge technologies is what defines the unique GM experience.
This person selected for this position will be a thought leader in Hadoop related technologies, will have working knowledge of other data warehouse technologies such as Teradata and IBM’s Information Server suite and have the ability to participate on a team of highly talented technical individuals. We are seeking demonstrated experience delivering highly available and scalable solutions that maximize business value.
- Bachelor's degree in technical discipline required or equivalent experience; masters degree preferred. Related technical industry certifications strongly encouraged.
- 10 - 15 years experience with MPP hardware design and engineering including implementation of technologies such as Teradata, Greenplum, Netezza, or Oracle
- 3 – 5 years of experience with Hadoop infrastructure design and implementation
- Deep technical expertise in the implementation and optimization of Hadoop related hardware architectures, runtime optimization, workload management, data replication and backup and recovery
- A working understanding of data warehouse network architectures.
- Demonstrated ability to conceptualize, design, engineering and implement large scale enterprise data warehouse hardware architectures
- A working understanding of MPP database technologies and the interdependencies between database design and hardware and software performance
- The ability to interact with key hardware and platform software vendors technical leadership and influence their strategic technical roadmaps and plans
- The ability to integrate ETL, BI, metadata management and master data management platform hardware and software architectures with the enterprise data warehouse
- Demonstrated understanding of system development life cycle methodologies including both traditional waterfall and agile/scrum styles
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills including the ability to clearly communicate complex technical topics to senior executive leadership
Required Hadoop related experience:
- Hadoop cluster enterprise class hardware and software architecture design and optimization
- HDFS file system architecture and design
- Hands on experience with Hadoop related technologies such as MapReduce scripting. HIVE, HBASE, PIG, ZooKeeper, Scoop
- Workload monitoring and performance management across the Hadoop cluster
- Data integration between Hadoop and other relational technologies
- Preferred additional experience:
- Hadoop or other file based storage system integration with Teradata or other RDBMS
- Hadoop related back-up and recovery techniques and tools
- Hadoop or Teradata related technical certifications
- Hadoop open source project contribution or participation
Why General Motors?
At GM, we’ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world’s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we’re currently undergoing one of the largest information technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry.
GM IT is a Leader in cutting edge technologies such as Enterprise Data Warehousing, Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging growth oriented positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing “Fortune 5” firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on innovation, speed, and business value. The Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) is at the center of this IT transformation.
Join our team and experience data warehousing at a scale and pace not seen before!