Software Engineer - Hadoop
Etsy is looking for experienced Hadoop engineers to join our data infrastructure team. You should love big data and cluster computing, especially in the context of solving large-scale, real-world problems that make Etsy more awesome.
About the Engineering Team
The technical staff at Etsy believes that code is craft, good software and systems designs are works of art, and that the work we do is part of larger creative culture represented by the hundreds of thousands of inspired makers who make Etsy such a wondrous marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We also believe in the right tool for the job, not language-as-religion. Our current systems run PHP, Java, Python, Ruby, Solr/Lucene, Postgres, MySQL, and more. Check out our Engineering blog.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, or equivalent work experience
- Experience or interest in distributed systems
- Experience with large-scale Hadoop clusters
- Experience with Cascading and/or Pig
- Previous success in a performance-critical environment
- Demonstrated open-source contribution is a big plus
About the Position
- Work on the scalability, resilience, and efficiency of backend components, particularly Hadoop
- Debug runtime problems and understand the interactions between systems
- Build systems, libraries, and frameworks within, around, and on top of Hadoop
- Help build and manage a large, rapidly growing, heavily used cluster, and contribute your work to the open source community
- Code using Java, JVM scripting languages, and PHP
- Work in a team-oriented environment
Etsy is the marketplace we make together. We have 20 million members in over 200 countries. In 2012, our sellers grossed more than $850 million in sales. Our mission is to reimagine commerce to build a more fulfilling and lasting world.
Our offices are like this and this. We're empowered and expected to be ourselves, share our ideas and figure out what we can each do to keep Etsy evolving. We have full company-paid benefits, including family and domestic partner benefits, humane working hours, couches, quiet spaces, lunch twice a week and handmade desks.
We're growing rapidly and are well-funded with a proven business model and established revenue to help us continue serving our community.