Software Engineer III - Backend Voice Engineer
Working at ESPN is unlike anything else. That’s because we’re always finding new ways to interact with fans – however and wherever they connect with sports. When you have the latest technology, game-changing ideas and world-class talent on your team, every day is extraordinary.
As a Backend Voice Engineer (SE3) in Advanced Development, you will be a part of a team that's responsible for helping integrate speech experiences in a full range of ESPN products. You will be expected to interact with SDKs and APIs from other companies (Google/Amazon/Apple/Etc.), you’re a team player who thrives in a fast paced environment with rapidly changing priorities. We want an amazing Software Engineer to join our team and are looking for someone who is creative, passionate, and excited about building with few limitations.
In this role, you will help design, code and support the underlying architecture for all of ESPN’s Voice applications that will serve our business and over 100 million fans across the globe.
You would be exposed to all phases of software development and architecture. This is a chance to work with the newest cloud based technologies to solve scalability and high availability challenges within a motivated, fast growing team. This is a critical role that will have a significant impact on the direction of our product, technology and business.
We are looking for someone who…
- Has the curiosity to research and learn new technologies and skills and recommend technical direction
- Employs positive thinking and is able to work constructively in a team setting
- Is passionate about scalable engineering, service technologies and voice interactive devices.
If this sounds like you, ESPN wants your help building the future of sports applications.
- Build cool things – Code software around awesome cutting-edge technologies. We operate in real-time with high-availability – in a variety of languages.
- Innovate and inspire – Design frameworks to transform our experiences in new ways to fans.
- Have pride – Ensure performance isn’t our weakness by implementing and refining robust services, platforms and availability.
- Grow with us – Help us stay ahead of the curve by working closely with architects, engineers, Product development team, API developers, and analysts to design systems which can scale.
- Experience – Have 4+ years of experience developing with a mix of languages (Java, Scala, Bash, etc.) and frameworks to implement data applications, processing, and serving technologies. Experience with real-time and very large scalable online systems are preferred.
- Have a technology toolbox – Hands on experience with newer technologies such as services on Amazon, java, python, etc. You’ll have plenty of experience with developing in a cloud native environment.
- Problem solver – Enjoy new and meaningful technology or business challenges which require you to think and respond quickly.
- Passion and creativity – Are passionate technology, & creative innovation.
- Affinity for sports.
- Experience working with Amazon Lambda, Lex, etc.
- Experience with Apache open source such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka.
- Experience developing voice systems for Alexa/Siri/Google Home.
- Proficiency with agile development methodologies.
- It would be great if you have a robust portfolio on Github and / or open source contributions you are proud to share.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or a related discipline, or its equivalent.
- Masters of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related discipline, or its equivalent.
At Disney, we‘re storytellers. We make the impossible, possible. We do this through utilizing and developing cutting-edge technology and pushing the envelope to bring stories to life through our movies, products, interactive games, parks and resorts, and media networks. Now is your chance to join our talented team that delivers unparalleled creative content to audiences around the world.