Global R&D Breeding Data Architect
About the Opportunity
Global Breeding drives significant value for Driscoll’s enterprise, operating breeding programs and research centers across the globe to produce elite, proprietary berry varieties. The role of the Global R&D Breeding Data Architect will be to design and implement data solutions for managing, storing, processing, and facilitating access to our complex plant breeding data. The ideal candidate will enhance our breeders’ abilities to make informed, data-driven decisions and will streamline the flow of data into genomic prediction models.
**This role is a combination of onsite at our Watsonville, CA location and hybrid**
Driscoll's is the global market leader for fresh strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. With more than 100 years of farming heritage and hundreds of independent growers around the world, Driscoll's is passionate about growing fresh, beautiful and delicious berries. Our values of humility, passion and trustworthiness have guided our mission to delight consumers around the world.
Driscoll's exclusive patented berry varieties are developed through years of research using only natural breeding methods – meaning, no GMOs. From farm-to-table, we focus on delivering a high quality, premium berry experience with our many supply chain partners.
Driscoll's is the trusted brand for Only the Finest Berries™.
What you will do
- Collaborate with Global Breeding data stakeholders to understand their data requirements, challenges, requests, and opportunities for improvement.
- Serve as a liaison between Global Breeding and Information Services to connect and align mutual requests related to data management.
- Enhance and create data collection tools and techniques to ensure adequacy, accuracy, and legitimacy of data; provide training with end-users as necessary.
- Assist in the definition and implementation of streamlined workflows to systematically integrate breeding data into genomic predictive analyses.
- Design and implement scalable, secure, and performant data solutions to improve data availability to stakeholders and to accelerate data analysis and reporting within Global Breeding.
- Evaluate and recommend appropriate technology and tools for data management, including database systems, data integration and transformation tools, and data visualization tools.
- Ensure breeding data solutions are integrated with other systems and processes, and provide ongoing technical support and troubleshooting as needed.
- Create and maintain data management roadmaps, guidelines, and best practices to ensure data consistency and accuracy across the organization.
- Act as a technical advisor for data-related projects and provide technical guidance and support to cross-functional teams.
- Oversee the integration of new technologies and initiatives into data standards and structures.
What we would like to see
- Bachelor’s in Computer Science, Information Systems, or related field.
- 3-5 years’ experience as a data manager, working with data architecture and solution design with a focus on complex data management solutions.
- Proficiency in database systems (Microsoft SQL Server required), data integration and transformation tools, and data visualization tools (e.g., R, Tableau, XLStat).
- Ability to analyze, interpret, and organize large amounts of data.
- Ability to understand breeding program and business processes and requirements and to design and implement effective data solutions.
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to explain technical concepts to non-technical stakeholders.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills and thorough attention to detail; ability to work effectively across multiple projects and deadlines, simultaneously.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills, with the ability to think outside the box to find innovative solutions.
- Familiarity with plant breeding and agricultural data and processes (nursery, yield trials, flavor evaluations, disease trials, etc.) preferred.
- Spanish language proficiency a plus.
- Ability to maintain a hybrid work schedule with time working from the office and from home.
- Ability to travel (5% travel).
- California Driver’s license and the ability to be covered under company-sponsored vehicle insurance program.
Compensation & Benefits
The following information is provided in good faith as a general description of the salary range and benefits for the position posted. The actual compensation offered to the successful candidate is dependent upon experience, skills, education, work location, internal pay equity, and other objective job-related factors.
Salary Range estimated for the Global R&D Breeding Data Architect: $77,100 to $108,000 USD.
Driscoll’s is committed to a culture of care and offers an attractive benefits package that includes comprehensive medical, dental, and vision coverage, life insurance, and disability coverage for positions working more than 30 hours per week. Other benefits include: 401(k) with employer match, profit-sharing participation, paid sick time, paid vacation, paid personal and family care leave, and a free Employee Assistance Program (EAP). More detailed information regarding the benefits package, will be shared during the application process.
Watsonville, CA 95076