DSS Machine Learning Engineer Intern
A dedicated business unit within the DTCI segment, Disney Streaming Services oversees consumer-facing digital video subscription services across the company. Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing, marketing, and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including ESPN+ and the upcoming Disney+, streaming service. The team works in close collaboration with the DTCI Technology team, who are responsible for linear and digital media products, advertising tech, consumer data platforms, and international broadcast operations. Disney Streaming also develops, markets, and operates the flagship NHL app and out-of-market package, NHL.TV, and through Bamtech Media, provides technology services for third-party partners.
The Disney Streaming Advanced Research team (DSAR) pioneers advanced application features rolled out annually to millions of viewers of the Disney+ and ESPN+ applications. The features we are currently building include Social Viewing (think Twitch), Conversational Characters (think Alexa as C3PO), Lidar and Pose detection for sports metrics, and AR marketing stunts for Disney feature film releases.
- Assisting a team working with machine learning and computer vision in the Advanced Research group at Disney Streaming Services.
- Responsible for development and testing of advanced machine learning systems for video analysis using supervised, unsupervised and transfer learning based techniques.
- Expertise in the fields of computer vision or natural language processing, and machine learning.
- Working knowledge of deep learning for computer vision and/or NLP.
- A good understanding of the fundamentals and best practices of deep learning.
- Proficiency with Python.
- Proficiency with deep learning frameworks Tensorflow, PyTorch.
- Proficiency with OpenCV.
- Experienced with version control using GitHub.
- Highly motivated, team player with strong technical collaboration skills.
- Experienced with GPU based machine learning environments.
- Experienced with AWS cloud based machine learning environment.
- Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior, Graduate Level student or recent graduate (within 6 months of graduating) pursuing a Bachelor's or Master's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Management Information Systems or related field.
Must be enrolled in an accredited college/university taking at least one class in the semester/quarter (spring/fall) prior to participation in the internship program OR must have graduated from a college/university within 6 months OR currently participating in a Disney College Program or Disney
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must not have completed one year of continual employment on a Disney internship or program.
- Must possess unrestricted work authorization
- Must provide full work availability during Program Length (listed below)
- Must provide own transportation to/from work
- Current Active Disney cast members must meet Professional Internship transfer guidelines (for Walt Disney World cast members this is no more than four points and one reprimand in the last six months; for Disneyland cast members this is six months of consecutive service and a performance record clear of any disciplinary issues (warnings, suspensions, etc.) for at least six months)
Program Length: The approximate dates of this internship are September– November 2019
Ability to provide own relocation, housing and transportation. Position is located in New York.
Interns must be fully available for the duration of the internship.
Recommendation – Print or Save This Role Description: Strong candidates may be invited to complete a phone interview. We strongly encourage applicants to print a copy of this role description so they can refer to it in the event they are selected for a phone interview.
About Disney Streaming Services:
Disney Streaming Services is responsible for developing and operating The Walt Disney Company’s direct-to-consumer video businesses globally, including the ESPN+ premium sports streaming service; the upcoming Disney subscription video service; and BAMTECH Media, a global leader in direct-to-consumer video streaming products and solutions. Our core mission is to deliver global audiences the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location. We serve consumers by bringing the world’s most beloved characters, timeless stories, legendary athletes, and epic sporting events to global audiences through best-in-class direct-to-consumer video services. We strive daily to imaginatively challenge convention with innovative technology that gives consumers the freedom to access content on their terms across any connected device, time or location.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Disney Streaming Technology LLC, which is part of a business segment we call Disney Streaming Services.
Disney Streaming Technology LLC is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.