Lead Machine Learning Engineer
Disney Parks & Resorts
“It takes people to make the dream a reality.” Walt was onto something when he said that, and it continues to ring true today. Walt Disney Attraction Technology is an electrifying place to utilize your skills and experience and be a part of a team that infuses innovation into everyday guest interactions. This is the place where you get to create “Surprise and Delight” experiences for our guests as well take our operational efficiency to its unrealized potential by using data and cutting-edge tools. As a Lead ML Engineer, you will be a driving force for building capabilities and services for the Machine Learning program across Walt Disney Parks and Resorts.
- Engage with research and business stakeholders and help drive AI/ML strategies and identify areas where business problems that can be solved in creative ways utilizing data and the power of algorythms
- Lead and work with other engineers and data scientists to implement and efficiently scale machine learning models that are used to create magical experiences for our guests and push the boundaries of operational goals
- Oversee operational support and maintenance of products and services delivered by the AI/ML team
- Build best practices used in day-to-day operations and working with business units to plan, design, and implement large-scale projects in machine learning space
- Design and apply machine learning algorithms in image recognition, NLP, and anomaly detection space and evaluate their performance on real-world data sets
- Translate generated algorithms into production-level code
- Collaborate with various teams to achieve objectives in improving system performance
- Integrate with existing software practices that produce maintainable code, including automated testing, continuous integration, code style conformity, and code review
To be successful you will need:
- Mastery in at least one high-level programming language such as Python, Java, or Scala (7+ years)
- Mastery in SQL and experience with relational, analytical, in-memory, and NoSQL databases (7+ years)
- Working experience with big data tools such as Hadoop/YARN, Spark, Kafka, Hive, Presto (5+ years)
- Experience with cloud platforms such as AWS, Google Cloud, Azure
- Expert level experience with ML platforms: TensorFlow, Rekognition, etc
- Expert level experience delivering production-level online machine learning models leveraging large data sets that have led to significant growth or performance improvements
- Ability to come up with solutions to loosely defined business problems by leveraging pattern detection over large datasets
- Capability to educate the organization both from technical and the business perspectives on new approaches, such as testing hypotheses and statistical validation of results
- Experience in leading discovery processes with stakeholders to identify the business requirements and the expected outcome
- Passionate about data, technology, and challenging the status quo
- Proven experience providing technical mentorship to junior team members
- Comfortable working in a team environment using Agile methodologies
- Strong communication, interpersonal skills and fortitude to get stuff done
- Demonstrate the following scientist qualities: clarity, accuracy, precision, relevance, depth, breadth, logic,
- significance, fairness and aptitude for original research
- Comfortable with both technical and business responsibilities, you will be working with engineers, data scientists and business masterminds to build products and solve complex problems
- M.S. degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Data Science or related field
About Disney Parks & Resorts:
Walt Disney Parks and Resorts are where dreams come true. More than sixty years ago, Walt Disney created a new kind of entertainment families could experience together, immersed in detailed atmospheres and vibrant storytelling. His vision now includes a collection of six of the world’s leading family vacation destinations – Disneyland Resort, Anaheim, Calif.; Walt Disney World Resort, Lake Buena Vista, Fla.; Tokyo Disney Resort, Urayasu, Chiba, Japan; Disneyland Paris, Marne-la-Vallée, France; Hong Kong Disneyland Resort, located on Lantau Island; and Shanghai Disney Resort, Pudong New District, Shanghai, China. In addition, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts includes the world-class Disney Cruise Line; Disney Vacation Club; Aulani, A Disney Resort and Spa; Adventures by Disney, a guided group vacation experience to some of the world’s most popular destinations; and Walt Disney Imagineering, which creates and designs all Disney parks, resorts and attractions.
About The Walt Disney Company:
The Walt Disney Company, together with its subsidiaries and affiliates, is a leading diversified international family entertainment and media enterprise with the following business segments: media networks, parks and resorts, studio entertainment, consumer products and interactive media. From humble beginnings as a cartoon studio in the 1920s to its preeminent name in the entertainment industry today, Disney proudly continues its legacy of creating world-class stories and experiences for every member of the family. Disney’s stories, characters and experiences reach consumers and guests from every corner of the globe. With operations in more than 40 countries, our employees and cast members work together to create entertainment experiences that are both universally and locally cherished.
This position is with Walt Disney Attractions Technology, Inc., which is part of a business segment we call Disney Parks & Resorts.
Walt Disney Attractions Technology, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status. Disney fosters a business culture where ideas and decisions from all people help us grow, innovate, create the best stories and be relevant in a rapidly changing world.