Sr. Data Engineer
DC Public Charter School Board
About the DC Public Charter School Board (DCPCSB)
Every day, we’re making it better for 46,000+ public charter school students, families, and communities to receive a quality education that makes them feel valued and prepared for lifelong learning, fulfilling careers, and economic security.
DC PCSB is not enrolled in E-Verify and does not sponsor individuals for work visas.
About the Role
As a member of the Data and IT Systems Team, you play a pivotal role in the development, management, and continuous improvement of DC PCSB’s data infrastructure. Reporting to and working closely with the Senior Manager of Data and IT Systems, you will use your technical expertise in PostgreSQL, Python, cloud computing, and report design to identify and advance projects that require data engineering support that influence key business decisions for the organization and our stakeholders.
You will work alongside full-time and part-time data engineers, IT specialists, analytics engineers, and subject matter experts to scope and deliver front-end application projects and back-end configuration improvements while advancing the organization’s data security architecture and practices.
You will be responsible for data infrastructure maintenance, pipeline configuration, database design, and clean up, while collaborating with data and analytics engineers to ensure the accuracy and completeness of our data.
What You’ll Do:
· Lead the builds of user-facing applications which supports both internal and external stakeholders
· Monitor and support both technical and non-technical audiences to elicit project requirements and translate them into reliable data products
· Lead code reviews and discussions about how to evolve our code style guide
· Manage CI/CD Pipelines and GitLab Configuration
· Design SQLAlchemy data models for our PostgreSQL databases and develop data collection and reporting processes in user-facing applications
· Manage and make enhancements to our in-house data processing tools, issue tracking, project management, and code refactoring
· Manage our Amazon Web Services (AWS) (IAM, EC2, RDS, and S3) usage and adoption
· Ensure system availability and business continuity, proactive monitoring, diagnosis, and resolution of issues in a cloud environment, analyze failures and debug production issues
· Implement automation, consistency, and integration between AWS and other adopted platforms such as QuickBase and Tableau.
Competencies and Qualifications
· 4+ years of experience as a Data Engineer, DevOps Engineer, or in similar roles
· Strong proficiency with Python, SQL, and Shell scripting
· Experience with CI/CD Pipelines and Git
· Ability to develop scalable ETL and ELT workflows for reporting and analytics
· Extensive understanding of relational databases, and experience with PostgreSQL RDBMS
· Strong automation mindset and a passion for root cause analysis and strategies to mitigate issues
· Familiarity with cloud-computing systems such as AWS
· Strong problem-solving, analytical, and conceptual skills
· Ability to create solutions within a collaborative, cross-functional team environment
· Comfortable working with both technical and non-technical users
· Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Data Science, Information Systems, or Related Field or relevant work experience
Nice If You Have:
· Familiarity with Agile engineering practices
· Experience developing environments for engineers using Jupyter notebooks
· Experience working with report design for QuickBase applications, and Business Intelligence tools such as Tableau
· Experience migrating or transitioning legacy data systems to new/modernized platforms
· Experience with container orchestration services such as Docker/Kubernetes
· Experience installing, configuring, and monitoring Linux system administration
· Experience building and maintaining AWS infrastructure (VPC, EC2, Security Groups, IAM, S3, RDS) and creating highly automated environments with Infrastructure as Code (Ansible, Terraform, CloudFormation)
If you are a self-starter who is passionate about leveraging data to drive high-stakes oversight decisions in a dynamic and collaborative environment, we encourage you to apply for this opportunity.This is a remote-eligible position, offering you the flexibility to work from home or any location within the United States.
Salary is competitive and commensurate with prior experience in a similar role. Access a full list of benefits at http://dcpcsb.org/work-dc-pcsb. The starting salary for this position is $115,000.
Submit your resume via our careers page. The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. DC PCSB is not enrolled in E-Verify and does not sponsor individuals for work visas.