Center for American Progress
Reports to: Senior Director, Technology Development
Staff reporting to this position: None
Position classification: Exempt, full time; Union - Level 5
Minimum compensation: $68,000
American Progress is seeking a skilled and motivated Data Analyst experienced in performance measurement and digital data analytics to join the Digital Strategy team in its Communications department. The ideal candidate is an entrepreneur with advanced analytical skills and a knack for using data to tell a story. They know how to deal with large amounts of data to find patterns and insights that colleagues can understand and readily use in order to reach their goals. This position also enjoys having fun at work and values the comradery that comes with being part of a progressively minded and socially conscious organization such as American Progress.
The Data Analyst will be part of a group leading efforts to transform American Progress’ operational data into actionable insights with tangible business value by analyzing information, communicating outcomes, and collaborating on product development. This position’s contribution will be instrumental in helping the Digital Strategy team and American Progress more broadly develop a data-validated understanding of American Progress’ online audiences to optimize their experience regardless of where, when, and how they interact with the organization.
American Progress is an independent, nonpartisan policy institute with a mission to improve the lives of all Americans through bold, progressive ideas, as well as strong leadership and concerted action, with the aim of not only changing the conversation, but changing the country. The Digital Strategy team is responsible for developing and operationalizing strategies to reach and engage the organization’s target audiences through digital channels such as web, social media, and online marketing. The team works closely with an extensive roster of highly respected resident thought leaders, policy professionals, and strategic functional groups in the organization to formulate and implement effective digital content strategies to engage audiences in alignment with American Progress’ policy priorities.
- Establish new and improve existing processes and implement technologies and enhancements required to collect and analyze operational data.
- Maintain and refine key performance indicators and baseline measures to evaluate data from all digital channels, including web, social media, and email marketing.
- Provide in-depth and insightful custom reports to communicate key metrics and findings to stakeholders across the organization.
- Prepare visually appealing targeted dashboards to share and communicate insights effectively at all levels of the organization, including but not limited to enterprise, policy priorities, departments, teams, and projects or campaigns.
- Recommend, design, and operationalize optimization practices, processes and roles, including A/B and multivariate testing to improve engagement and conversion across all digital channels.
- Recommend, design, optimize, and operationalize internal communication practices for reports.
- Work with the broader analytics group and relevant stakeholders to identify useful contact scoring methodologies and operationalize them against American Progress’ growing contact database.
- Analyze and document data-validated marketing strategies and tactics to glean learnings and recommend improvements.
- Analyze campaign data and adjust strategies to deliver maximum return on investment.
- Act as project manager for ongoing development of an analytics toolset, including both “buy” and “build” approaches.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- Two or more years of experience as a data or business analyst, or in a similar role.
- Previous experience analyzing multivariate digital media data.
- Advanced skills with Microsoft Excel and proficiency with business intelligence applications.
- Ability to work with stakeholders to assess needs and communicate information effectively.
- Ability to analyze existing tools and technologies and provide solution recommendations.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong skills in writing reports and presenting findings.
- Project management and/or product management experience.
- Knowledge of Google Analytics, Google Tag Manager, and Google Search Console.
- Familiarity with search engine optimization (SEO) and marketing concepts and best practices as well as common third-party SEO platforms.
- Experience with relational databases and knowledge of structured query language.
- Experience with data visualization tools and approaches, such as Microsoft Power BI or Tableau.
- Experience with Salesforce.
- Basic understanding of quantitative data analysis concepts such as extraction, transformation, loading, trending, regression, and forecasting as well as previous experience with statistical analysis tools.
American Progress offers a full and competitive benefits package. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply. This position is part of a bargaining unit represented by IFPTE Local 70 and has a minimum salary of $68,000.
We will continue to monitor COVID-19 and the levels of community spread and adjust plans as needed for in-office work. Any changes to our current hybrid work policy will be communicated at the time of hire. Updates will be posted on American Progress’ Jobs page.