Data Scientist, Democracy Program
The Data Scientist provides overall leadership and guidance to Digital Threats to Democracy initiative and to wide range of activities focusing on digital and technology issues across the Democracy Program; manages the Digital Threat to Democracy team and leads efforts to design, implement, and evaluate programming that leverages data and technology to provide insights and drive programming across the Democracy Program; provides training for program staff on key concepts, methods, and technology tools; identifies opportunities for cross-programmatic learning and knowledge sharing within the program and across the Center; establishes and maintains relationships with external partners and consultants to support project design and implementation; liaises with IT and program staff to ensure projects are designed, implemented, and managed in accordance with The Carter Center policies and procedures and relevant laws and regulations. The Data Scientist may supervise employees and interns, and work-study students and volunteers. Performs related responsibilities as required. Includes occasional travel. This position will report to the Director, Democracy Program. Due to travel requirement, Hostile Environment Awareness Training (HEAT) will be required.
FORMAL JOB DESCRIPTION:
- Develops and guides implementation of data and digital strategies for programs.
- Serves as lead data expert to facilitate knowledge sharing and the creation of a community of practices across program areas.
- As needed, works directly with data scientists, engineers, programmers, and IT support to facilitate project implementation.
- In partnership with IT, provides training and guidance to staff and consultants on data collection, data management, analysis and visualization strategies, tools and techniques.
- Employs excellent communication skills, both oral and written, and the ability to discuss technical matters clearly and effectively with people who do not have a technical background.
- Provides technical leadership to facilitate design, implementation, and oversight of projects with consideration to sustainability, maintenance, and reproducibility of code, tools and models.
- Provides leadership, guidance and statistical support to data analysts hired or contracted to implement and manage projects on an as-needed basis.
- In coordination with program staff, may manage data analyst(s) and provide feedback on performance.
- Coordinates with IT and Data Governance committees to facilitate development and management of data literacy materials and data governance policies and procedures.
- Ensures program activities are designed and implemented in compliance with relevant data protection and privacy laws and ethical considerations.
- Maintains professional growth and development of self and staff by identifying educational/training programs, professional organizations, activities, and resources to maintain knowledge of national trends and to promote leading edge expertise.
- Participates in relevant technical and NGO organizations.
- Establishes and maintains strategic relationships with external partner organizations and consultants to support development and implementation of project activities.
- International travel will be required.
- Performs related responsibilities as required.
- A master's degree in data science, statistics, analytics or related areas, and ten years of related experience, OR an equivalent combination of experience, education, and training.
- Prior experience serving as subject matter expert to provide the strategic direction for the programs approach to analyzing and managing its data.
- Demonstrated knowledge and subject matter expertise in digital threats to democracy, democracy and technology, elections and election observation, and civil society support.
- Proficiency in coding languages (e.g., R, Python, and SQL).
- Experience applying statistical methods, Natural Language Processing methods, and machine learning tools and techniques.
- Experience with APIs, business intelligence, and data visualization tools (experience Microsoft Power BI highly preferred).
- Experience with Microsoft Azure Cloud environment and services.
- Familiarity data protection and privacy, data ethics, and data governance issues.
- Strong, demonstrated skills in writing and presentation of findings and analyses.
- Experience working with large structured and unstructured datasets.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States for any employer.
NOTE: This role will be granted the opportunity to work from home regularly but must be able to commute to The Carter Center on a flexible weekly schedule based upon business needs. Schedule is based on agreed upon guidelines. The Carter Center reserves the right to change remote work status with notice to the employee.