CIRCLE, Tufts University
Applicants are strongly encouraged to apply before Feb 1, 2018 for full consideration. The finalist selected for this position must be able to start before April 1, 2018.
The Jonathan M. Tisch College of Civic Life prepares students in all fields of study for lifetimes of active citizenship. Tisch College promotes new knowledge in the field and applies this knowledge to evidence-based practice in programs, community partnerships, and advocacy efforts. Central to the university’s mission, the college offers Tufts’ students opportunities to engage in meaningful community building, civic and political experiences, and explore commitments to civic participation.
The Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement (CIRCLE) is a research-based think tank that studies how young people in the United States learn to become active participants in our democracy. CIRCLE studies a broad range of topics, from K-12 civic education, youth organizing, youth and civic media, to community characteristics that promote civic development. The central focus of its work is on expanding access to civic learning and engagement opportunities, especially for marginalized youth.
CIRCLE is seeking a Senior Researcher with a background in quantitative research methodologies and varied experience in planning and executing research projects.
Responsibilities include serving as the lead quantitative researcher on a range of research projects that may include secondary data-analysis, large dataset creation/analysis, literature reviews, field experiments, and original surveys. The Senior Researcher's tasks include producing analytic plans, methodology documentations, datasets, reports, fact sheets, formal and informal research briefs and press releases on timely and relevant topics, often in close collaboration with CIRCLE colleagues. The Senior Researcher will assist with research grant proposals writing especially with the methodology sections. They will occasionally represent CIRCLE research conferences, practitioner forums, and press events. The Senior Researcher will work alongside colleagues, including a current Senior Researcher, Director of Impact, and Researcher, and provide inputs and peer training to other CIRCLE staff who produce research (quantitative and qualitative). All CIRCLE staff report directly to Director of CIRCLE, who reports to Associate Dean of Research at Tisch College.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience.
- Master's degree in a discipline related to social science.
- Knowledge of statistical package, such as SPSS and STATA.
- Because of CIRCLE’s explicit focus on improving civic education and engagement for young people of color and other underserved youth, and because of Tisch College and Tufts University’s foundational commitments to diversity and inclusion, candidates with diverse backgrounds and experiences are especially encouraged to apply.
- Research experience in a professional setting in which quick deadlines and collaborative team work were common.
- Comfort with multiple projects and delegating and receiving tasks, and making decisions about research and analytic design choices with minimal guidance.
- Experience with multivariate statistical techniques, evaluation methods, and psychometric analysis.
- Experience with developing and executing surveys.
- Ability to communicate effectively with practitioners, reporters, scholars, and young people through writing, speech, and graphs.
- Ability to produce reliable, accurate, and readable research products on short deadlines.
- Ability to work collaboratively with CIRCLE colleagues from varied backgrounds and to interact with practitioners of diverse backgrounds, views, and positions.
- Ability to teach research methods to colleagues and student/workers.
- Concern for youth civic engagement is necessary; however, prior research in this specific area is not required.
An employee in this position must complete all appropriate background checks at the time of hire, promotion, or transfer.