NoSQL Platform Engineer
There are some common yet complex problems application teams at Bloomberg face - challenges of large-scale data storage, low-latency retrievals, high-volume requests and high availability over a distributed environment. Our group, Foundational Services, aims to create standardized solutions to these challenges by building core services and technology frameworks for enterprise-wide use.
We are building these platforms using NoSQL open source technologies. But, when it comes to latency and high availability, these technologies often don't meet our service expectations in their off-the-shelf form. We want to change that. That's why we have been making novel open source contributions to technologies such as Apache HBase and Kafka. We introduced the notion of Standby regions in HBase, allowing for High Availability Reads, and championed features such as improved caching, multi-tenancy support and the HBase Spark connector.
If you are passionate about distributed systems, have seen them behave in production and have interacted with the open source community, we'd like to talk to you about an opening on our team.
We'll trust you to:
- Get to know development teams across Bloomberg and understand their application requirements and access patterns
- Help teams working with HBase, Kafka or Cassandra architect their applications from schema design to performance tuning and failure analysis
- Identify feature gaps in the technologies and work with the open source community to co-design and co-develop those features and bug fixes
You need to have:
- Experience designing and implementing low-latency, high-scalability systems
- Strong experience with systems-level Java - a thorough knowledge of garbage collection internals, concurrency models, Native & Async IO and Off-heap memory management is a must
- Experience troubleshooting complex distributed systems in a production setting and providing patches in a timely manner
- Proven open source community interactions
We'd love to see:
- Upstream, accepted open source contributions to HBase, Cassandra or other NoSQL technologies
If this sounds like you, submit an application and check out Bloomberg's Github: https://github.com/bloomberg.
New York, NY 10082