Technical Lead/ Data Engineer
Who we are:
Bixal is a mission-driven, woman-owned small business determined to improve people's lives through human-centered strategies and transformative technologies, with a firm belief that everyone has the right to an effective government.u202f
We deliver on this belief by partnering with leading Federal agencies to design, develop, and deliver powerful customer experiences through holistic digitalu202fproduct solutionsu202fand strategic communications initiatives––bringingu202fa high standard and unique creative energy to our clients––and our wonderfully diverse culture is what makes it all possible.
Bixal unites different people with different perspectives from all over the world! We provide our teamu202fwith an open and empowered environment where collaboration thrivesu202fand solutions flourish.
This role is remote. You must be legally eligible to work in the United States. Bixal does not provide visa sponsorship. You must be able to pass and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
What Will You Do?
We are looking for an experienced Technical Lead / Data Engineer to join our growing team of experts. The hire will be responsible for optimizing critical Federal data and data pipeline architectures, as well as optimizing data flows for downstream use by cross-functional teams. He or she will maintain strategic alignment of technical design and architecture to meet business growth and directions. The ideal candidate is an experienced data pipeline builder and data wrangler who enjoys optimizing data systems, while understanding the flow from ingestion points to delivery to syndicators. The Technical Lead / Data Engineer will lead systems architects, database architects and data analysts on initiatives. They will ensure optimal data delivery architecture is consistent. They must be self-directed and comfortable collecting requirements from multiple teams and systems. The right candidate will be excited to positively impact millions of Americans by infusing their knowledge into the Federal government’s data processes.
- Architect overall systems using prototyping and proof of concepts.
- Develop product roadmaps, backlogs, and measurable success criteria, writing user stories to ensure effective delivery.
- Collect requirements to create and maintain optimal data pipeline architectures.
- Assemble large, complex data sets that meet functional / non-functional business requirements.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Build the infrastructure required for optimal ELT of data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL and ‘big data’ technologies.
- Communicate with a wide range of digital delivery disciplines and talent
- Work with data and analytics experts to strive for greater functionality in data systems.
- Experience as a technical lead on Agile Scrum teams.
- Experience leading cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL) as well as working familiarity with a variety of databases.
- Experience building and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data sets.
- Experience performing root cause analysis on internal and external data and processes to answer specific business questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Proficient at building processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- Ability to resolve complex ingestion issues due to evolving data layouts and formats.
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large datasets.
- Proficiency with object-oriented/object function scripting languages: Python, Java, Scala, etc.
- Experience with ‘big data’ tools: Hadoop, Spark, EMR, AWS Glue, and AWS OpenSearch.
- Experience with databases: MySQL, SQL Server and Redshift.
- Experience with AWS cloud services: s3, ec2, RDS.
- Experience with Jira
- We are looking for a candidate with a graduate degree in a technology field and 6+ years of experience in a Data Engineer role, or a commensurate combination of education and experience.
Perks & Benefits:
- Competitive base salary
- Flex hours
- Work from home flexibility
- 401K with matching incentive
- Parental Leave
- Medical/dental/vision benefits
- Flex Spending Account
- Company provided short-term disability
- Company provided life insurance
- Commuter benefits
- Generous PTO
- 11 Paid holidays
- Professional development opportunities
- New business referral bonus