Leader, Business Intelligence
BC Safety Authority
At BC Safety Authority (BCSA), we’re keen to use technology, collaborate, and innovate. We do this with a purpose in mind – to protect the safety of BC residents and to contribute to the success of our clients. Clients and employees step through our doors to connect, learn and get inspired.
With innovation top of mind, we are creating a dedicated Business Intelligence team, beginning with the recruitment for a Leader, Business Intelligence. This position will lead the development and implementation of BCSA’s business intelligence program to lever data in our strategy and operations. We’re looking for someone who knows how to create business outcomes by publishing data, has strong collaborative leadership skills, and advanced technical skills obtained in a complex, data-intense environment.
Status: Regular, Full Time, Excluded
Reports To: Director, Risk Knowledge Advancement
- Leads development and implementation of the BC Safety Authority’s business intelligence (BI) program, translating strategic objectives into business intelligence strategies, business model, platform choices, operational plans and practices.
- Develops the organization’s strategy to influence stakeholder behaviour through data, information, and knowledge, and ultimately generate improved safety outcomes. Carries out a critical role in the change effort within BCSA, and with stakeholders.
- Leads design, development and management of complex data and information products that are scalable and accessible to internal and external customers. Identifies opportunities for client-specific offerings and open data, and balances centralized and decentralized approaches.
- Develops a framework of processes, practices and standards to ensure all product development and information sharing is executed with cost-effective, timely, and operationally efficient results. Fosters transparency and ready-access to information, while also establishing the necessary controls to mitigate risks.
- Collaborates with IT department in developing strategies, identifying optimal solutions, and delivering information services throughout the organization.
- Leads delivery of communication, advice and education that inspires and influences leaders to adopt a changing culture that leverages and integrates data and information in day-to-day operational practices. Oversees assessment of business intelligence needs, and determination of optimal methods and products to support achievement of business objectives.
- Positions the business intelligence program as a provider of trusted information to the Provincial Government, customers and other stakeholders. Provides communication and advice that encourages client behavioural change through use of data and information products.
- Develops status reports at regular intervals to ensure the Director is informed of achievements, and is also alerted to critical issues as they emerge. Proactively leads the resolution of complex, escalated program issues and challenges.
- Leads research and continuously maintains knowledge and awareness of the business intelligence practices, methods and related industry trends.
- Manages reporting employees, involving recruitment and selection; coaching and development; performance management; and all related people practices in accordance with policies, practices, and the collective agreement(s).
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
Education and Experience
- The required knowledge and skills for the position would typically be acquired through a Master’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science, or other related discipline, complemented by an MBA and 10+ years of experience in progressively responsible roles in business intelligence in a measurement-intense work environment.
- Includes leadership experience in transforming business through information technology; and demonstrated experience working within IT teams in the delivery of BI solutions.
- Achievement of a relevant professional designation is also required.
Knowledge and Skills
- Expert knowledge of business intelligence concepts, practices, and solutions as they pertain to central/ decentralized approaches, use of external data, reporting and self-serve methods
- Expert ability to understand and transform user information needs into visually well-designed business intelligence products
- Advanced business acumen and business ethics to lead business intelligence initiatives and set strategic and tactical objectives
- Advanced and diverse experience in designing and deploying production BI systems
- Advanced understanding of IT systems, databases, and data management including data quality
- Advanced communication and interpersonal skills, and political acumen to inspire and lead collaborative dialogue with internal and external customers/stakeholders, establish common ground, and influence change
- Advanced planning skills to translate strategic objectives into business intelligence strategies, business model, operational plans and practices through collaboration with others.
- Advanced analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills to identify and take action to assess needs, address challenges and manage change
- Solid leadership skills to manage reporting employees