Achievement Network (ANet)
Location: Flexible within the United States (Boston or LA preferred)
Position is available: Immediately
WHO WE ARE
Every student deserves opportunities in life, and every educator committed to providing those opportunities, deserves support. Those beliefs drive us to work alongside schools to support great teaching so that we can work towards guaranteeing that all students are receiving high quality instruction. We partner with over 900 schools - both district and charter - in underserved communities around the country, thus impacting more than 330,000 students. Third-party evaluations confirm that when schools have the right basic conditions in place and partner with ANet, they achieve 6-8 months of additional learning over a two-year period compared to schools not partnering with ANet.
At ANet we are committed to living out our core values, both across our organization and with our partner schools. We acknowledge that systemic inequities impact student access to opportunities and that in order to ensure educational equity for all students, we must center on the experiences of those from marginalized communities to guide our work. We work to deepen our understanding of how race, class, power and privilege influence the education system as well as influence our own perspectives. To do so, we provide ongoing learning opportunities through org-wide professional development, affinity groups, working groups, and resource sharing.
Individuals who join ANet have the opportunity to be part of a dynamic, values driven, and team-oriented organization that is committed to having impact in schools by investing in each other and learning together. We were named as The NonProfit Times “Best Nonprofits to Work For” and work tirelessly to foster a working environment where the unique perspectives, backgrounds, and identities of our staff members are valued.
We are seeking a Data Engineer to join ANet's Data & Analytics Team, reporting directly to the Vice President, Data & Analytics. The Data Engineer will own the maintenance, improvement, cleaning, manipulation, and ETL of data in ANet's analytic databases. Working with a cross-functional team of data scientists, analysts, dashboard builders and software engineers, the Data Engineer will understand and implement database requirements, analyze performance, and troubleshoot any issues -- all with the end-goal of defining and building robust data pipelines that enable faster, better, data-informed decision-making to accelerate outcomes for ANet's partner schools and students.
The Data Engineer must be an expert in SQL development, providing support to the Data and Analytics team in database design, data flow and analysis and dashboarding activities. The Data Engineer will also play a key role in the development and deployment of innovative big data platforms for advanced analytics and data processing.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Manage and engineer our analytic data warehouses to power and integrate with internal applications (including but not limited to dashboards, analyses, and sales, marketing and help desk platforms)
Build new databases and data storage solutions. Immediate priorities will include:
- A single database of record for all adults with which ANet interacts. This single source of truth for contacts must enable us to roll all user-level touchpoints up to the organization-level & link those activities to outcome measures.
- Support development & implementation of improved Salesforce instance as the source of record for contacts
- Work with Engineering to develop functionality that syncs internal user management databases with Salesforce
- Evolve our analytic databases and links to operational databases to enable roll-up of individual touchpoints to organization-level aggregates
- A database solution for clickstream data that will power the delivery of personalized content
- Work with data scientists, product managers, and engineers to understand requirements and use cases
Maintain, optimize and evolve existing analytic data warehouses (ADW) including:
- Design and manage ETL scripts from source databases into ADW (maintain existing ones, write new, stay up to date on APIs).
- Proactively analyze & evaluate database in order to optimize database and dashboard performance. Diagnose performance issues, prioritize, and solve. Partner with Engineering team to resolve priority issues that require developer support.
- Ensure the quality, consistency and security of data in the ADW. Partner with business and analytic teams to ensure that ADW meets their data needs. Partner with IT and Cloud Engineering to set and implement security policies.
- Support strategy development and implementation of long-term data solutions architecting (including how we leverage cloud infrastructure such as AWS), as we evolve our data architecture to align with our overall tech roadmap and data strategy; own parts of the implementation of any database evolution
- Build knowledge on the latest in big database technology (including but not limited to noSQL databases, Hadoop, Hive, Spark), and the costs/steps associated with data infrastructure updates/migration. Proactively search for and make recommendations about the most efficient and cost-effective solutions to ANet's data infrastructure needs.
- Develop and maintain documentation for our existing organizational databases
- Provide training and guidance to other teams in the organization who query databases directly
Stay up-to-date on industry trends and best practices, advising leadership on new and improved data engineering strategies that will drive data performance, improve data governance, and ultimately improve mission outcomes.
Lend support to data-related projects on the Data & Analytics and Engineering teams, as needed, which could range from lending a hand on dashboard builds to pitching in on operational database development.
WHO YOU ARE AND WHAT YOU BRING
In order to be successful in this role, candidates must demonstrate the following:
- You have at least 3-4 years of experience supporting or leading database administration, including experience with:
- creating, optimizing and debugging databases, including big data management.
- data modeling and query performance tuning.
- multiple flavors of SQL (MS SQL, MySQL and PostgresSQL).
- monitoring, disaster recovery, backup, automated testing, automated schema migration, and continuous deployment.
- designing, building, and maintaining ETL pipelines.
- You have demonstrated experience working with large and complex data sets, as well as experience analyzing volumes of data including:
- demonstrated skills in SQL server reporting services, analysis services, integration services, and data visualization tools.
- experience using Python to query and analyze data and build data pipelines. You have the ability to write complex SQL queries, utilizing basic SQL functions.
- You bring a learning orientation to your work and while you bring a basic understanding of big data management in the cloud, you're energized by staying up-to-date with industry trends and growing your skills and knowledge to identify new solutions that will help ANet meet its goals.
- You can navigate and internalize database structures with minimal guidance and have the ability to write up documentation around your discoveries
- You are a skilled problem solver: you can understand complex data needs from a variety of stakeholders, and determine the best path forward to meet those needs
- You are your happiest and most successful in innovative, collaborative, and fast-paced environments
- You bring a strong attention to detail which helps you balance and prioritize competing priorities as well as do your own QA work to ensure 100% accuracy
- You have a passionate commitment to and a sense of urgency for the support of schools, along with a belief that all students can achieve at high levels
- You are motivated by working in an environment where we live out our core values daily and are eager to examine personal archetypes and biases while discussing topics related to race, class, and privilege which relate to ANet's Advance Equity and People Matter values
Ideal candidates may also demonstrate the following preferred qualifications:
- You have experience with cloud data and big data infrastructure management (AWS, EMR, Google Big Query, Hadoop, Spark, etc).
- You have experience with noSQL, graph and other non-SQL databases and experience with unstructured data.
- You bring prior experience with Tableau and Salesforce.
- You have basic knowledge of Java.
WHAT WE OFFER
ANet offers highly competitive compensation based on prior experience and qualifications as well as comprehensive benefits in order to best support our people. Benefits we offer include: health, dental and vision insurance where ANet pays 80% of the cost of these benefits for employees and their families/domestic partner; 3 weeks of vacation (4 weeks after two years with ANet); 10 paid holidays with paid days off between the Christmas and New Year's holidays; a paid floating holiday; paid sick & personal days; paid parental leave; retirement plan options; commuter benefits; tuition reimbursement; flexible spending accounts; short and long-term disability coverage; and basic life and personal accident insurance.
HOW TO APPLY
We are now accepting applications for this position, which will be reviewed on a rolling basis. To apply, please click on the blue “Apply” button. You will then be prompted to complete a brief application and upload a resume and thoughtful cover letter in which you outline why you are interested in working for ANet and how your skills and experience meet the qualifications of the position.
ANet is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.