Senior Database Engineer
Full time database engineer, working with both development and operations teams using SQL (mostly PostgreSQL) and NoSQL (mostly MongoDB) databases. The database engineer role seeks to maximize uptime and performance of all database products in production use; utilize query proxies, connection caches, and other technologies as needed to produce clean interfaces to work with (and protect) data; account for backup and disaster recovery scenarios, and push data management into the future.
Our web software is utilized by over 120,000 active customers on a 24/7 basis requiring well planned, robust implementations. Our team includes smart people who appreciate wizard level database skills, continuous learning, experimentation and a lust for creating and utilizing cutting edge technologies. We welcome those who share these passions to apply.
- Detailed understanding of Postgresql database server architecture, concepts, features, and high-availability technologies.
- Expert knowledge of PL/PgSQL, triggers, and stored procedures in PostgreSQL
- Minimum 5 years of practical hands-on experience with database administration, backup and recovery, performance tuning and high-availability solutions.
- Experience with database replication, hot stand-by, clustering, and table partitioning.
- Linux platform familiarity, system resource monitoring and tuning.
- Production experience with one of: MongoDB, Redis, CouchDB, Riak, Cassandra, ElasticSearch
- Being part of a team that provides 24x7 coverage for the production environment.
- Excellent analytical, organizational and project management skills.
- Be assertive and have good communication skills.
- Comfortable working in an informal, high-energy team environment.
- Responsible for implementing, managing, and tuning high-availability 24x7 Postgresql databases.
- Responsible for designing, deploying and maintaining high-availability 24x7 MongoDB databases.
- Establish policies and procedures pertaining to data management, security, maintenance and utilization.
- Develop, manage, and test database backup & recovery strategies, verifying data integrity.
- Perform database installations, configurations, upgrades, and migrations.
- Proactively monitor and tune for performance.
- Responsible for capacity planning and recommending paths to account for application growth that are in line with industry best practices.
- Consult with development and architecture teams to help meet continued application growth.
- Define and implement database schema and configurations working with our development teams.
- Create and maintain documentation of procedures, schemas and guides for troubleshooting database systems.
- Research and evaluate new databases, technologies, and trends to provide innovative ideas and solutions to improve the existing infrastructure and support new projects and requirements.
We develop and manage email marketing and newsletter software for over 120,000 small businesses, bloggers, nonprofits, and other customers around the world.
We're in Chalfont, PA, nestled in the heart of scenic Bucks County, in the suburbs of Philadelphia. While this position may require occasional travel, the majority of your time will be spent working on-site with AWesome people in our state-of-the-art headquarters. So you'll need to be located in the Philadelphia area or willing to relocate here.
- 100% Company Paid PPO medical, dental, vision, insurance. (including domestic partner benefits).
- Company Paid Short Term Disability Insurance.
- Company Paid Life Insurance.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Fully Reimbursed Gym Memberships.
- 3 weeks paid time off (plus increases in paid time off).
- Paid holidays.
- 401K retirement benefits with company match and profit sharing.
- Free lunches every day.
- Break rooms stocked with soda, juices, coffee and teas.
- MacBook Pro laptops and 30" monitors.
- Multiple high definition theater rooms fully equipped with Xbox, Wii & Blu-Ray players.
- A game room with competition billiard, foosball, and ping-pong tables.
Chalfont, PA 18914