Principal Hadoop Developer
AT&T is seeking candidates for a highly unique opportunity in the field of Data Science. The opportunity is to participate as a member of a small team with a simple objective. Given one of the largest data sets in the world ….. Innovate!
We are assembling teams to drive new and innovative ideas to our business units. The teams will consist of Subject Matter Experts, Data Scientist, Business Analysts and other roles, resources and tools the team deems necessary for success.
Vision: To provide rich insight into consumer behaviors, preferences and experiences in order to improve the customer experience across a broad range of vertical markets
Mission: Release the full potential of Big Data in AT&T through a combination of platform technology, collective human intelligence and the vast data resources available to our company.
Work in a unique, energetic, fast-pace thriving entrepreneurial environment at ourAT&T Foundry! This is your opportunity to join us and become a part of AT&T’s success in the world of Big Data!
Our vision of the ideal candidate for the team member position of Data Scientist includes the following:
- Excellent communication skills
- Thrives on collaboration
- Ready to lead when the team is counting on your expertise
- On a mission to identify opportunities to optimize, expand or transform the world through the lens of information.
- The discipline of a Scientist in problem solving.
- Combination of data analytics techniques and algorithms to create innovative solutions
- An obsession for information, solving insurmountable problems and finding unique ways to accelerate our business.
Responsible for the development of distributed computing tasks which include MapReduce, NoSQL, and other distributed environment technologies based on need or preference to solve the problems that arise. Using programming languages and technology, writes code, completes programming and documentation, and performs testing and debugging of applications. Analyzes, designs, programs, debugs and modifies software enhancements and/or new products used in local, networked, or Internet-related computer programs. May interact with users to define system requirements and/or necessary modifications.
Nature of Contribution - Expert level technical professional. Technical authority within organization. Contributes through own development of advanced technologies or concepts with global reach or industry application. Has direct impact on creation of technical products/services and serves as a role model and a mentor.
Knowledge - Has extensive specialized technical expertise and applies expert knowledge and broad understanding of multiple disciplines. Integrates expert knowledge of technical principles and methods of multiple disciplines with knowledge of products/ services and internal operations. Advisor on AT&T technologies, systems and/or procedures.
Analysis and Problem Solving - Solves complex, critical problems related to significant and unique issues. Uses extensive research and interpretative thinking. Utilizes innovative methods in developing solutions and works on abstract problems requiring evaluation of intangible variables.
Independence - Guided by functional goals and objectives and may influence organization goals and objectives. Applies discretion to develop innovative solutions to problems without precedent.
Contribution to AT&T Technology - Lead contributor on critical projects and technology initiatives. Develops integrated solutions across the organization. Contributes to complex and innovative business solutions to achieve strategic objectives.
Communication- Provides technical expertise to peers across the company. Actively promotes good working relationships. Develops mutually beneficial strategic alliances with customers.
Required Qualifications -
- 8-10 years experience in developing software applications including: analysis, design, coding, testing, deploying and supporting of applications
- Proficient in application/software architecture (Definition, Business Process Modeling, etc.)
- Understand application/software development and design.
Desired Qualifications -
- BS/MS degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Project Management
- Excellent technical analysis/design skills
- Track record of delivering projects on time
- Ability to work with technical and business-oriented teams
- Experience building Big Data solutions using Hadoop technology
- Extensive experience with software development and the complete software lifecycle (analysis, design, implementation, testing, quality assurance)
- Ability to work with non-technical resources on the team to translate data needs into Big Data solutions using the appropriate tools
- Extensive experience developing complex MapReduce programs against structured and unstructured data
- Experience with loading data to Hive and writing software accessing Hive data
- Experience loading external data to Hadoop environments using tools like MapReduce, Sqoop and Flume
- Experience using scripting languages like Pig to manipulate data
- Experience working with very large data sets, knows how to build programs that leverage the parallel capabilities of Hadoop and MPP platforms
- Prefer experience with Hortonworks Hadoop distribution components and custom packages
- Prefer experience with columnar DB solutions (e.g. Vertica, Cassandra, Greenplum) in cases where a columnar DB is best for data management
- Collaborative personality, able to engage in interactive discussions with the rest of the team
- Inquisitive on Big Data technology, always reading about new ideas and tools to experiment with